Odd oil usage in a day

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I know I have a bit of oil blow by in my motor ever since we have got back from last summer's trip from wisconsin to Wyoming. Well when we got back I did the CDR on it and there is no oil leaks. What surprised me is that this passed Friday I did some scrap hauling for a friend. 4 trips and it totalled up to be just around 3,000 lbs per trip.prob be around 60 miles total for the day not including idle time loading trailer. Well now the part that caught me off guard was the next day I didn't check the oil because I put two quarts in on Friday before the haul. We made one 32 mile round trip to scrap yard and back towing 6,000lbs. Well on the second trip we got half way there and had to stop because of lifter tick. Well I had my mother bring me out a gal of oil and put that in. Well we dropped that load off and headed to the shop and I checked the oil again. Added another gal. I did notice that day idling I had blue oil smoke but on the highway non. I don't know how that thing could eat 2gals oil. Would that be valve guides? I am replace the motor with another so I'm just curious what to kind of look for when I get it out and start to tinker with it. Thanks for your time an sorry for a long story but I had to share it. I found it odd. Joe

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes. Well to start, what type of oil are you using? These engines love to drink rotella for some odd reason.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some off brand tractor supply oil because it's cheap 15.00 bucks for 2.5 gal. I was thinking of that maybe it was the oil but ?? That was a lot.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non-turbo or turbo? Mileage? Blowby?

If it's non turbo, pull the air cleaner and see how much oil is puddled in the intake manifold. If it is turbo... pull the air cleaner and see if there is a puddle in the charger.

Any leaks?

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non turbo. About 241,000 blow by yes.. that's when I replaced CDR thought it was bad. And I'm afraid to look in the intake when I did the CDR I cleaned the intake out. Picture in a few min of inside of intake..

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's burning that much oil....and not leaking it, I would say it's almost time for a rebuild.
It might be worth a shot to do an oil change and dump some Chevron Delo in there and see if that helps slow down oil consumption :dunno.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm swapping it out with another motor but was just curious on what to look for when I decide to take this one apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online