Occasional stalling and hard starts

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I have been experiencing occasional hard starting, requiring 10-15 seconds on the starter before a reluctant, smoky startup. Most of the time it will start fine, usually 3-5 seconds on the starter, with a minimum amount of smoke.

Also, occasional stalling, only after starting, putting into gear, and applying throttle. For example, when pulling out of driveway or parking spaces. Will start back up and run immediately.

Has not stalled in traffic (yet).

The truck seemed to be getting a little harder to start each time, so I have recently replaced the return lines, glow plugs (ZD9), and glow plug controller (Motorcraft). I have not replaced the return line from the rear of the engine to the tank. Fuel filter has around 5k miles.

An electric lift pump interests me, so I have a facet pump on order.

If anyone has experienced anything ilke this I'd love to hear about it and what was done for repairs. I appreciate your help.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd try replacing your fuel filter too. Or it could be your pump and injectors. Any idea how many miles are on them?

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many miles are on pump and injectors. I'm going to assume well over 100k, I understand that is their expected service life.

I just made a highway run yesterday and it performed well. My fuel filter really isn't that old, but I won't rule it out as a possibility.

I want to make sure I'm not fighting an air intrusion issue before I start replacing things. I'm intrigued to see what I'm left with after the facet pump conversion.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for an update. Truck won't start now. Had to leave for work, took another car.

Made a 200 mile weekend run just fine. Got in this morning to drive to work, almost ran but decided instead to make some unusual clattering noises, now it just turns over with no inclination of running.

First plan of action is to depress the schraeder valve to see if any pressure is being built from the lift pump. Failing that, I will move forward with my duralift pump installation.

If pressure is present, looks like it may be time for an injection pump and injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You are on the correct path by checking for air in the fuel filter. If you find air then trying to find where the air is getting into the feed line can be difficult. Might want to first check or replace the short piece of rubber fuel hose from the hard line to the mechanical lift pump. Its the rubber fuel line that acts like a shock absorber between the frame and the engine down near the fuel pump. At 100,000 miles your pump is well worn too.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a couple cycles of cranking, nothing is coming out of the schraeder valve. Looks like it's full speed ahead on the duralift conversion! I found my relay holder amongst my spares, and my weather pack connectors came in the other day. All I need now are fittings, a bracket, and the block off plate (which should be on order).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well sounds promising so far. BTW what level are the tanks at? If they are near of below 1/4 then I suspect you have the typical broken suction shower heads in the tanks. What happens is the suction head breaks off and the last 1/4 tank of fuel is impossible to use because the suction is now not able to suck the last 1/4 tank. Easy fix too. Keep the tanks above 1/4 tank level. Costs nothing really.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear tank is full, the front tank is at 3/4. I haven't had it run out on me, but I became one with the '1/4 tank means empty' one day when I made a turn and it started sputtering quite loudly. The previous owner said something about the gauge doesn't work around 1/4. :rolleyes:

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update. From last weekend actually (still haven't done the duralift conversion). After a bit of cranking, it started up and ran fine. I figured it has to be air intrusion.

This morning, I smelled a bit of diesel on my way into work. I popped the hood when I arrived, and found fuel leaking past what I believe to be heater element electrical connector on top of the filter head. I've read about a couple issues like that here, time to do a bit of research.

I did do my junkyard steering box (1993 Explorer) swap the other night, much, much better.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?46363-Fuel-heater-O-ring-replacement

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In all honesty the fuel filter heaters never did anything. Actually ford NEVER tols owners that we HAD to turn on the ignition but not start the engine and let it warm up the fuel for 8 minutes.. Now who sits in a cold truck for 8 minutes warming up the fuel. So nope. So far those that have removed the heaters have never had a fuel problem no matter how cold it gets ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online