Noises

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Well I haven't posted about me own project lately but here goes. Truck had a intermittent knock sound so I pulled the valve covers and put a screwdriver on all the rockers. One matched the knock so I though it was a bad lifter. Then the project what on hold for a week and a half trying to get the turbo off. Finally had to get the torch tanks filled and got the housing glowing and it worked off with a lot of words and pry bars. Got it back together and started her up. The knock was still there. Must be a rod. So out came the motor Fri. night and the spare will go in tomorrow. Has anyone used a Banks or older Ats and left the solid state controller in the back? Does the turbo fit with it there or do I have to move it? The new motor is out of a '87. Where does a guy find exhaust manifold gaskets? I can't find them at Napa. Thanks guys!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If your going to go to the trouble to swap the engine. You might as well buy a complete head gasket kit, it'll come with the exhaust gaskets. It's much easier to do with the engine on a stand.

Yes you'll haveta move the controller. There's a bracket to relocate it up on top of the valve cover. It'd be easy to fab one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Which ATS turbo?m I have the non wastegated one that sits square to the firewall and the solid state controller sits fine in the factory spot (the ones that sit at an angle have the exhaust side of the housing exposed to the controller so I don't know how that would do ). Have to make sure to use the heat shield that goes under the exhaust side where the return line and glow plug wires go through. I put a some extra fire sleeve on there for good measure and wrapped the exhaust side of the turbo with header wrap. I've got my engine on the stand right now after 5000 miles due to an unrelated item and there was no signs of any heat problems.

suv7734

Reaction score
From the diagrams I have the ATS systems all leave the controller in the factory position. The Banks system moves it and remounts it on a bracket but the wiring is all long enough. Pic of Banks remount:

Attachments

• controller.JPG
    controller.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 13

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I am going to use the solid state unit and leave it stock. It sits farther away from the exhaust then the banks pic. I was tossed up whether to use it or not also because it needed plugs for it. I stocked up on zd1a's when they were on sale, but not zd9's. So I called a local Autozone and they said that were 8 on the shelf. So how much I asked. "Were'er not supposed to have them anymore, so $0.01." What? So I went and got them for $0.09. Went to another store and got 16 more for $0.17. How much are ZD1A's? $10.99!!! I had to have the guys check the shelf for them as the glows were not in the computer anymore. Might be worth a shot for the guys that need the still. Almost got the motor back in the truck except the oil pan was so rusty in would not hold oil anymore. The list just keeps growing.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
man i was born in minnesota and partially rasied there i sure dont miss them rusting through oilpans one bit! i cant believe they still are using way to much salt....

Ray

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
It's worse not that there isn't much snow. So the DOT uses the same amount of salt as when the was a lot of snow so the roads are white with salt not snow.