No Start When Hot

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'm posting this for a friend. He has a '94 F350 Powerstroke, ZF 5-speed, and has somewhere around 180k on it. The problem is that the truck will crank fine when the ening has had a chance to cool, such as over night or between gettin to work and going to lunch. If the truck is run and you shut down, but immediately try to restart, it will crank. However, if you leave the truck sitting for any period of time it will not crank. Yesterday we had this issue, but as I was pulling him, he let off the clutch in 1st gear and the truck started. ***?

We changed out the CPS thinking that was the culprit, but to no avail. I'm thinking the IDM is going bad (getting hot and/or shorting out), but I wanted to check to see if anyone here has had a similar issue.

Thanks for the help, ya'll.

[><]

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I'm thinking IPR o-rings. But I'm sure somebody whose smarter than I will come along with more info.

John

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IPR o-rings are probably the culprit. The IPR can be rebuilt although Ford probably will tell you it cant be.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like John and I were brainstorming here................

Take a look at this link to see the rebuild instructions on an IPR.

CLICKY HERE

BJS

Reaction score
IPR O-rings are shot the writeup that stroker linked you to works well you can also use a 1&1/8" offset box end wrench to accomplish the job worked great for me. The o-ring kit from international is right around $30 part number (Ford) F6TZ-9C977-AN (F6TZ-9C977-AA?)
# (International) 1825806C92

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Thanks for the help fellas. The problem is that the truck will turn over but not fire off. My friend was sick of turning wrenches on the truck and was about to have to fork out big money to fix the truck and get it running right. I think he's set his mind to sell it and get something new.

Thanks for the help fells.

[><]