Newer IP thats been sitting, not sending fuel to Injectors...

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Been a while i've posted, been real busy and in the process of moving into a loghome.

Anyways, moving my vehicles over to my new place, ran into a frustrating problem.

My '85 E350 6.9 van, witch has always ran absolutely beautifully (other than burning oil, understandable with 424k miles.

It has a 6 year old IP on it along with injectors that have about 35k miles of use on them now since I put them on with the new IP, all mileage done in the first 3-4 years, been sitting alot in the passed 2 years, IP is a rebuilt unit from Diesel Logics.

Last time I fired it up witch was beginning of this summer, fired right up and ran perfect, it did have the old - rev stall problem where the RPM's come down to low after being revved and stalls out, but I figured thats from old fuel and not being driven much, sticky governor.

Now the IP won't send any fuel at all to injectors. Fuel shut-off, timing advance and high idle solenoid are all getting power and I hear a "click" when I pull the connector off and on of the prongs on the IP, everything seems to work fine, Lift pump is pumping up tons of fuel to fuel filter, and the hard line that runs from filter to the back of IP is also getting tons of fuel, but injectors all cracked open, all remain dry no matter how much cranking....

Anything else I can do or? short of replacing a barely used IP....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would remove the triangle cover, drain the fuel, then add a additive from the top cover, or by removing the return fitting.
Like some diesel clean, liquimoly, etc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a new fuel filter. fill with ATF. install. with the line nutsloosened, and 12v to the FSS crank it for a few mins and see what happens

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Have you been running any alternate fuels? Biodiesel can cause problems over time. :p

If you feel adventurous, you can remove the bell cover from the rear of the IP and check the little screen/filter there.

Remove the feed line from the filter head to the IP. Then remove the locking screw.

You must be registered for see images attach

Close up:

Then unscrew the bell cover, and you will see this:

Your screen may look different. The screen just slides onto the metal piece. If you just grab the filter and pull it, the metal piece will come with it. You may want to hold the metal piece in place while you twist and pull the screen off. Be very careful, because behind the metal piece (transfer pump pressure regulator) are the vanes for the transfer pump. They have tiny little springs and they know how to fly!

Shot of the transfer pump vanes. You can check to see that they are not gunked up.

The pressure regulator has an alignment pin seen in pic above. Sorry I don't have a better picture of the regulator.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Nothing but pure diesel fuel has been run in it, I already tried the ATF and conditioner trick in the fuel filter, didn't do anything helpful.

I been doing some reading up and it could be the fuel metering plate that's stuck? You have to remove the top cover of the pump and you can move by hand that plate front to back, I'll give that a try.

I don't imagine any filters would be clogged, I took good care of my fuel system, regularly running conditioner in the fuel and changing the fuel filter once a year back when I was daily driving this thing.

Did an oil change, changed the fuel filter and filled up both tanks full of fuel with lots of conditioner before parking it long term.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Evening everyone! sorry about the delay, busy over my head, anyways, finally got around to checking out my IP.

Pulled the cover off, metering valve isn't stuck or sticky, but fuel has a green tint to it?

Could that have anything to do with it, or anything else could prevent the pump from pushing fuel out to the injectors?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like algae from sitting, does the fuel coming out of the the schrader valve look similar?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure to crank with the throttle floored, to keep the metering valve open.

Also, pull one line completely off and make sure it's coming out of the pump(or not)

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Had an identical problem with my van.

The algae in it acted like superglue when two parts squeezed it tightly. It was just goop on my fingers, but when I squeezed my fingers together I had to use a knife to pry them apart. I finally got my IP unglued by filling it with a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and DieselKleen, spinning the shaft with a cordless drill for 20 minutes, and letting it soak for 24 hrs.

If I had been really clever, I'd have put 10 gallons of that mixture in a clean fuel tank and run the van for 100 miles to thoroughly clean out the fuel system. I didn't. After the 24 hrs, the IP began spitting fuel out the hard line ports using the cordless drill, so I installed it in the van. The van ran fine, but after sitting overnight, the algae still in the fuel system locked up the IP again. It was such a hassle that I just bought a new IP, and drove 150 miles with a very heavy dose of DieselKleen in the fuel. Smooth sailing after that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7