Newb with a ?

94Turbo

Reaction score
Just found this place nice site better than some of the others I have trolled on ;Sweet. I have a 94 with the ATS turbo in it and am considering the upgrade my question is can the turbin housing be removed with the turbo in the truck and does it come off the cartridge or do you need to remove wheels from the shaft and such? The ones I have had to mess with at work come off with v-band clamps but this one dosen't look to be as easy. Also dose the bigger housing cause more turbo lag or not enough to notice?

Thanks Chris

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. You'll find that even though the existence of this group here is fairly new, many of us have known each other via the internet for years. Since '99 to be exact....
As far as your question goes, the changeout can go one of two ways. Easy...or a nightmare....why? For starters, the turbo outlet sees some pretty extreme thermal cycling. I don't know where you live and where the truck resided before you owned it, so I am going to tell you the "worst case" sceneario. i usually get the stuff after somebody has goobered it up to some major $$$, so I like to take care of things right from the start. As controversial as it may be to some, remove your turbo from the engine compartment first, that way you have clear access to the housing bolts. If all goes well, you will not have to touch the impeller blades at all. But for the best results, you need to put heat to the impeller part of the housing to give the bolts the easiest way to turn. they're 12pt bolt heads but chances are, they are heat siezed on. Both kroil and heat and a well placed hit from a hammer, the bolts should come out. Remember to tap the threads once the bolts come out. The rest is up to you. Shortcuts can be made but you will have to weigh the costs.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online