new up comming diesel technician

dieselwiezil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well right now in at wyotech going through diesel technoligy. Im not sure exactly what I want to get into. I am very interested in diesel performance, but i have heard that in 07 you will not be able to "turn up" your rig, or any service place with a computer. Im trying to debate whether I want to start off in a mom/pop service shop or a full blown dealership. What is a good starting wage I should expect to get?

Jeff

Brickman

Reaction score
I can't tell ya any thing on wages but from what I hear WYotech grads don't have much problem getting a job.

DBogo

Reaction score
next year i am going to school for diesel mechanics/heavy equip operation and maintance and i get a payed internship

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dieselwiezil said:
Im trying to debate whether I want to start off in a mom/pop service shop or a full blown dealership. What is a good starting wage I should expect to get?

Jeff

Tough choices for sure, I have heard that going into a full blown dealership can be a PITA. Your hands are tied by corporate strings (be it a Ford Chevy or Dodge dealership doesnt matter), ya know where you have to do what the TSB says you have to do even though you know dang good and well thats not whats wrong. But the benefits and pay will probably be better in the dealership. Working for a mom/pop shop will give you a little more freedom to do things the way you (or at least the owner) wants to do them. But then the pay and bene's might not be as good. As far as how much you will or can make, that is probably a regional dictated thing. I assume you are heading back home (Tx) when you graduate, so whatever market value for a diesel mech is in that area (18~20/hr to start??) is what you should demand.

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dieselwiezil said:
well right now in at wyotech going through diesel technoligy. Im not sure exactly what I want to get into. I am very interested in diesel performance, but i have heard that in 07 you will not be able to "turn up" your rig, or any service place with a computer. Im trying to debate whether I want to start off in a mom/pop service shop or a full blown dealership. What is a good starting wage I should expect to get?

Jeff

What is your opinion of WyoTech so far? I see their ads but that is all I really know about them being in the SE.

Any clue what it takes to become a 'partner' of WyoTech? The website doesn't say and the email is student oriented.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy,

You can call the Laramie office @ (307) 742-3776

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
I always wondered with WYOtech so close why the Ford steelership here in town does not have a certified PSD wrench turner cookoo cookoo cookoo

You take a PSD in to get worked on & the gasser guy pretends to be a diesel mech :puke: :puke:

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Andy,

You can call the Laramie office @ (307) 742-3776

Thanks. I need a reason to see that part of the country on the companies dime since I've only been to Vegas.

Then again, I've never been to CA and we seem to be getting new retailers there lately. :confused: ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TooMuchBoost said:
Thanks. I need a reason to see that part of the country on the companies dime since I've only been to Vegas.

Welp, if you are heading this way let me know........ ;Sweet

dieselwiezil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TooMuchBoost said:
What is your opinion of WyoTech so far? I see their ads but that is all I really know about them being in the SE.

Any clue what it takes to become a 'partner' of WyoTech? The website doesn't say and the email is student oriented.

well to be honest its entirely over rated. Dont get me wrong, I love it and im learning ALOT of stuff. I did take the ASM course which is business management and EVERYTHING to do with that. Yea it was a pain in the ass, but I do have a degree in business management now and it only took me 3 months! Im in the engines portion right now of the diesel program. All in all I really like Wyotech, many people say they HATE it hear. I ask them, well then why are you hear then... I actually look forward to going to school for once!!!

Brickman

Reaction score
Ramprat said:
I always wondered with WYOtech so close why the Ford steelership here in town does not have a certified PSD wrench turner cookoo cookoo cookoo

You take a PSD in to get worked on & the gasser guy pretends to be a diesel mech :puke: :puke:

Go to Wheatland to that dealership. They even give you a loaner car, Spradley will not.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Brickman said:
Go to Wheatland to that dealership. They even give you a loaner car, Spradley will not.

Ain't been back to spradly since the warranty ran out on the truck & don't plan on ever going back ;Sweet ;Sweet

I've heard the dealer in Laramie is a good one but have never been there.

TooMuchBoost, you head to Laramie let us know I'll make sure to stay off the street & lock all the doors :D :D

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
dieselwiezil said:

Jeff
Are you eanting to work on medium/ heavy trucks? If so, you will find that all of the truck dealers are owned by individuals, or mom and pop. I started at the Mack truck dealer in Memphis TN and have been there ever since. I was 18 and fresh out of high school. We have 8 locations and a lease company. When its slow and nothing going on, we work on the owner of the companys antique cars and trucks. Right now we are putting a Bombed 5.9 cummins in a 1948 EG Mack. The owner said if me and anopther guy would do it, we could drive it home on the weekends. Dealers are great to work for but not so great to let them work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online