New Truck Update

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, wrapping it up for the night now... So far, everythings went as planned. I pulled the pump timing gear and got it in right... it was way off, its amazing the thing ran at all. It seems right now - It still ran real rough at first, but if the fuel guage works I added my five gallons of diesel and half a quart of powerservice to a lot of old ag fuel. Its still got some bad fuel to burn through. After I drove it around the block a few times, It had smoothed out quite a bit and almost sounded like a normal IDI. There is quite a bit of white smoke from the CDR blow off I put together today... Hopefully things start to set together as it runs more and some of the blowby will taper off. I wouldn't be suprised if this thing hadn't run in 5 years - when I was cleaning it out (and it was trashed), the newest piece of paper I could find was from Feb 2003. Towards the end of the night, the battery slid over and arced on the AC line... killed the batteries, Fried something related to the starter... its not engaging anymore. Oh well... it's leaps and bounds closer to being a real truck again than it was this morning. I never got around to taking any pics today, but I will in the morn...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Nice, that is the 4x4 dually CC posted from craighlist, right. Did You get a chance to check the 4x4?

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to checking if it works... The hubs are new, and I flushed the tcase yesterday and what came out wasn't awful looking. Its got a couple of loose ujoints in the front - Me and all my IDI buddies around here are gonna have a TTB Ujoint marathon before this winter, we all need new axle joints.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's Some pics...

Of the truck in the rain, running, with the massive amount of white smoke that comes from everywhere... I'm going to try drive it around some, see if I can't get some of that white smoke to go away... It is the XLT nice package for 1986, its got a/c and cruise and power toys. But anyways, here's some pics for now...

Attachments

• PICT0107.JPG
    PICT0107.JPG
    780.8 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT0108.JPG
    PICT0108.JPG
    787.7 KB · Views: 32
  • PICT0109.JPG
    PICT0109.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0110.JPG
    PICT0110.JPG
    780.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0111.JPG
    PICT0111.JPG
    781.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PICT0112.JPG
    PICT0112.JPG
    775.9 KB · Views: 19

SKimballC

Reaction score
Nice rig! White smoke could be retarded timing or air in the injector lines. I'd check the timing, drain that old fuel out, do the return lines/injector o-rings, and then drive it for a bit to see if it clears up.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
wow, thats not a bad lookin truck. I like the look with the racer back, dually's and 4x4 stance combined on that year truck. It just looks bad!
Glad to see I helped someone out round here (maybe not yer wallet) but someone got a new toy! ;Sweet

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like the visor/ racer back/ dually / all black truck combo. I'm starting to wonder about the motor though. I've been running it on and off all day, it hasn't sounded any better or let up on the smoke all day. What concerns me is the smoke coming from the oil fill tube - it definitely seems like 1 or 2 cylinders are letting a decent amount of compression out. It does seem to have plenty of power - More so with the pump turned far to the passenger side than when its closer to the timing mark. I might have put that timing gear in a tooth off still? It also really doesn't want to start itself - The glow plug relay isn't working yet, it will start up sometimes when I arc across the relay for about 10 seconds. Even when I turn it off after its been warmed up, its relunctant to start again. I tried dumping water on the pump last time it did that... only like 12oz of water though. Would that make a difference, or do you need to use more water? it starts right up roll starting it down the 10 foot hill in front of the shop.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If it cranks a lot and slow that may be the batteries or starter (check if they are new/old) it could also be the IP has a lot of miles or poorly maintained. Are all the injectors the same code? The white smoke can very well be air in the lines.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel - Are you saying the smoke from the oil fill area could be air in the line? I always thought that would produce white exhaust smoke, not engine smoke. I haven't checked the injector codes yet - I think I'm gonna throw another set of injectors that are almost new I have sitting around on it. The batteries have definitely seen better days.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If that things been sitting since 2003 it's probably a safe bet that there's a ring or two stuck in the thing. That'll make it hard to start and smoke like a chimney and have a bunch of blowby.
If it's not road worthy, try some crankcase flush, if you're driving it, try some Auto Rx and see if you can loosen things up a bit.

-------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah maybe after it gets some run time the rings will seat like they should again. Blowby as you suspected is almost always a symptom of the rings letting some combustion gases by for some reason. I had very little on my truck when I got it, but after I changed the head gaskets I had some rust in the cylinders and it had some bad blowby for awhile until those rings seated it used a lot more oil than it used to also, and the extremely advanced timing I mentioned made it worse. A bad injector pump won't cause blowby but it will cause pretty much everything else to suck and the hard startinga nd white exhaust smoke too. You might get some fresh diesel and throw in some stanadyne or power service fuel additive. You might need to check the compression and also see if you can get a timing meter on it. You shouldn't have to advance that pump so much to make it go. I would also ditch that 6.9 glow plug system its a piece of crap and a problem waiting to happen. Get some 12V AC glow plugs for the 5.7 apllication...I believe the part # is 12G, and a momentary toggle or spend the couple hundred to upgrade the harness, controller and plugs to 7.3 style. Even if the motor is shot, you got a turbo kit and a diesel crew cab for 1500 or less. You done good.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere that carries this auto rx stuff, or do you have to order ir from them?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is there anywhere that carries this auto rx stuff, or do you have to order ir from them?

You have to order it from them www.auto-rx.com I've used it on a bunch of old diesels and had some pretty incredible luck with the stuff.
You do have to be driving the thing for it to work though. It cleans slow, but much more thoroughly than anything else i've ever tried ( and I'm pretty sure i've tried just about everything on old engines at one time or another :D Next best stuff is only available in Europe now, they quit selling Liqui Moly
Ol Schlamm Spulung in the US a few years back for some reason ( could be because they never bothered to print the label in English so people could read it :rotflmao The Europeans have a lot of great diesel engine products that we can't get here, but it stands to reason since about 60% of the new cars sold there are diesels.

---------Robert

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh- I had seen the web site - do they ship fast? I am planning on driving it- I could order some in the morn, I suppose. I'm already running a quart of atf in the oil, but... someone from the sidewalk was yelling to tell me my truck was on fire earlier :rotflmao ... I should probably put some other crap in there :dunno ...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Huh- I had seen the web site - do they ship fast? I am planning on driving it- I could order some in the morn, I suppose. I'm already running a quart of atf in the oil, but... someone from the sidewalk was yelling to tell me my truck was on fire earlier :rotflmao ... I should probably put some other crap in there :dunno ...

They ship it out via DHL and it get's relayed to USPS at the local post office and gets delivered with the mail. They're in Florida and I usually get the stuff here in Arkansas in 2-3 days. Read the directions, you'll need 2 jugs of it ( 2 oz per qt of oil )

I've had that stuff in the tranny and rear end of my truck right now for about 1200 miles, looks like it took care of the seeping seal at the rear of the tranny ( I just did the rear end for the heck of it )

---------Robert