Needing help planning rebuild

jocephus30

Reaction score
Well its almost that time of year again to do a year worth of repairs all at once. A little info on the truck I have a 1986 f350 CCLB dually 4x4 turbo 6.9 with C6 auto. This truck was used to haul a fifth wheel camper for a gentleman who bought the two when he retired. It has about 280,000 on the body and possibly the front axle. The original owner kept all receipts for work done along with all warranty information. The motor was replaced in 2001 about 18,000 miles ago along with transfer care being rebuilt about 500 miles later. The last time new tires were put on it was in 1995, but I dont have any type of receipts for any work on transmission. I am needing help because I always forget something important so below I am going to list the parts I am going to replace and please let me know if I am missing anything (exp I am replacing fuel tanks do the sending units need to be replaced). PS sorry picture is so large I have no idea how to fix that.

Power steering pump, master cylinder, both wheel cylinders on rear axle along with brakes. (going hydro-boost)
return line kit (Mel)
starter and all battery cables
headlight relay kit (LMC)
2 new tanks rear being the 38 gallon (LMC)
carpet and headliner (need place)
Grill, ford logo, headlight bezels (LMC)
Tach (autometer one that runs off alt)
either zf5 if can be found or 4 speed and ranger overdrive unit
new pass side dually fender along with paint.

This next year I am going to be doing a lot of road trips with my leather company and need something that can get me there and home reliably. What I have budgeted is for the items mentioned but its always the extra items that ruin my budget. Also first week or so in March if your with in couple hundred miles of Dallas I would not mind a part superduty with the ZF5. If this is wrong section I am sorry.

You must be registered for see images attach

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
First thing you should do is get rid of those front wheels and put dually wheels back on it with the right adapters for the D-60. ;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. I missed the front wheels not being duallys. Yes, Thats something I sure would fix before any trips. Reason for changing them to duallys wheels is you only need to carry one spare. The way your rig is set up now you will need 2 spare tires and wheels. One for the front and another different one for the rears. I suppose if the truck is not hauling anything you could... Just take a spare for the fronts cause you basically have 2 rolling spares on the back as it sits..

jocephus30

Reaction score
I know about front end and was going to do that just need to find the hubs for it l but as towcat told me over in introduction, simple swap even calipers fit the same. Already have a set of steel dually wheels ready for the front

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I know about front end and was going to do that just need to find the hubs for it l but as towcat told me over in introduction, simple swap even calipers fit the same. Already have a set of steel dually wheels ready for the front
This is good to know. Towcat really knows his stuff when it comes to duallys and parts that swap over easily.