Need help! transmission maybe?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ok so I have an 85 f250 4x4 6.9 4speed manual. I was driving down the road the other night trying to get somewhere in a hurry so I may have been driving the truck a little hard when all of a sudden it just stopped pulling. So I coasted to the side of the road and immediately checked the clutch master because it leaks a little and it was bone dry so I filled up pumped the clutch a few times (which felt normal) and still nothing. It didn't make any noises the clutch feels the same as always it just revs when in gear. Driveshaft aint turning if that tells you anything and it still feels like it goes in all the gears fine. Thanks in advance.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Sounds like either your clutch is toast, or a broken input shaft. Transmission has to come out either way.

Chewy

Reaction score
How do I know if its the clutch? And if its not the clutch and I have to replace the tranny do I need to go ahead and replace the clutch anyways? Sorry if those are dumb questions I lack in the mechanical department thanks for the help and quick reply

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the trans. Put in in a gear and turn the input shaft,see if the output shaft spins.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a big enough job that if you can at all afford it, change clutch pressure plate throw out bearing and all while you have it apart.

Now. No grind or anything going into gear? Is it a 4x4? Tcase slip into neutral? Check the easy things first. Pulling a tranny is not just for the fun of it job typically. Have someone work the pedal and make sure the clutch is actually actuating. I would guess you can at a minimum watch the fork move on a 4spd. I've not messed with on much. If you have an inspection cover pull it and see if anything is oily and make sure the throw out bearing is moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy

Reaction score
I checked to see if the transfer case got slid in neutral when it happened. I'll pull the dust cover off tomorrow and see what I can see hopefully I'll have my dad helping me this weekend since I have no clue what I'm looking for. Anybody know what a used tranny goes for and would it have to come out of a diesel truck?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 4spd. I don't know a lot about them but my knee jerk answer is yes. It may have a removable bell housing. That might open up options but honestly I'm not sure. Somebody that knows will come along shortly I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One more thing to check. I did see a clutch that actually "exploded" on the owner while driving. When I pulled the inspection cover off of the tranny, there was clutch fiber everywhere inside it. If you replace all of your clutch components, be sure to have the flywheel resurfaced to avoid possible clutch chatter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726