need a part

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
found where the brake fluid was leaking.....

between the master cylinder and brake fluid resevoir there are two rubber grommets. These grommets seal the fluid. One was torn pretty much in half.
Makes me think one day I should start driving on pavement :)

anyway, I checked a dozen parts stores and none of them had one. I got one that looked similiar, but it doesn't work.
I think there is a dealership in town that'll be open today....

if not, does anyone have one?

thanks,
Drew

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That unfortunately is a item when you buy the rubbers, the master cylinder gets thrown in with the deal. I have a couple of used masters lying around butI highly reccomend you break down and buy a new master. Rubber exposed that long to brake fluid can get very unpredictable.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
towcat said:
That unfortunately is a item when you buy the rubbers, the master cylinder gets thrown in with the deal. I have a couple of used masters lying around butI highly reccomend you break down and buy a new master. Rubber exposed that long to brake fluid can get very unpredictable.

+1 was exactly what I was thinking.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
I replaced the master cylinder in my Dodge last year. A newe master cylinder was $89.00. A rebuild kit for it was $32.00. A rebuilt master cylinder was $28.00. Go figure?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
master cylinder was replaced right before I bought the truck....
so, 2years/65+ k miles ago

ford can sell me the whole resevoir kit @ $49
I'm too broke for this bs.... I'm heading to a junkyard. After I finish this job this week I would have the cash to buy a MC.... but no sooner.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Only 2yrs old and the grommets are leaking? I'd be worried about the rest of the rubber seals. I think I paid around $50 for mine and it came with a nice new tank installed.

I understand the money concerns but this is brakes. Of all things I won't cut corners on brakes.