My First Batch

earth helper

Reaction score
i dont think so tim?dry fuel in diesel.

flareside_thun
Good to hear more guys using wmo.:thumbsup: Regular Unleaded gas is another fuel that some have used, #1 diesel or kerro are popular.
I think for you guys that have good temps, above 50 F most of time, you should be ok with regular diesel fuel. Outside temp is a big thing.
Then it comes down to watching, listening to how your truck "acts" or runs on different mixes.

i am just asking?unlead gas is that not a dry fuel. diesal a oil fuel?just asking?cookoohow about a little anti jell.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
You are correct, the WMO takes up the slack for the lack of lubricity in the gasoline.

So, I've finally gotten through my first tank of fuel. I got 160 miles out of this tank which is only a 20 mile decrease. HOWEVER, the last 25 miles was in the woods and she tends to use more fuel puttering around like that.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flareside_thun
Good, I like to hear about successful runs on wmo.
Another little cool thing, figure your cost per mile on regular diesel, then figure it on your wmo mix.
Wmoguy had a really good post on yearly costs, on what it could cost on straight diesel. or what it costs on wmo mixes.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its a little off topic but with my batch I have noticed that my glow plugs seem to not stay on as long any more and harder starting. Would this be that the oil/diesel fuel is to rich on oil??

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regular unleaded gas, usually with out ethanol, but the amount of ethanol were taking about isnt that much. But thats another subject.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The carbon could very well be messing with the glowplugs. Either my controller or relay has taken a dump.....

today 20deg. my glow plugs normaly go for 20 sec. they were on for ten. I turned key back off then on to heat more they were on for 5 sec. mid year i put in new glow plugs (motocraft) and controler.. If i dont run the oil/diesel mix for a tank will it clean the plug or time for new?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Unfountly I beielve ur plugs are dead in the summer I run 100% wmo and that killed my plugs in 6 months or so

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I'll have to ask David what the mix on this last batch was.....but I'm getting 15.5 MPG......better than running straight diesel, and a little more power to boot.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a switch on the ground to the controller. I only turn the controller on when its cold, I know its not supposed to work when its warm, but mine were still short cycling.

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Carbon doesn't kill glowplugs.
The carbon builds up a barrier between the injector tip and the glowplug in a prechamber engine ,then carbon absorbs the heat that should helping the atomised fuel to autoignite
The easiest way to diagnose this, is to give the engine a slight "sniff " of ether. [ the fuel is induced into the airflow and not injected, so the carbon isn't a barrier to autoigniting it ]

Don't be scared of using RUG ! it is the cheapest solvent / thinner available. It is actually reccommended in the Mercedes owners handbook to add RUG during winter [ up to 30% ]
The purpose of RUG is to lower the CFPP [ cold filter plugging point ] but too much will cause coking of the engine because it has a slower flame propagation.

A gasoline engine needs approx 32 degrees advance in timing [ my race car was closer to 38 with high octane AVGAS ] whereas a diesel is usually injected at 4 degress BTDC so it is almost impossible to do mechanical damage inside the combustion chamber.

When using WMO / RUG blends the engine will idle a lot quieter which is often misinterpreted as running better. The reality is the fuel is "chemically retarding" the flame propagation.
Too far retarded will cause excessive coking so some adjustments in timing are needed [ approx 4 degree more advance ]

A better way to blend WMO is 80 /10 /10 that is 80% Oil 10% RUG for thinning and 10% kero or D1 to help restore chemical properties.

By the way these issues only happen when we start getting greedy [ I am ] and start using blends as a primary fuel.
If you blended WMO 85 / RUG 15 then after that went 60/40 with D2 in your tank you should have no issues at all, but that involves buying some fuel [ we wouldn't want to do that ]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online