My First Batch

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running my WMO blend for almost 3k miles, Fuel mileage dropped 1-1.5 per gallon, but it may have to do with me driving it harder since fuel is so cheap now.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have been running my WMO blend for almost 3k miles, Fuel mileage dropped 1-1.5 per gallon, but it may have to do with me driving it harder since fuel is so cheap now.

I notice a similar drop in mileage on WMO blends. I don't get too worried about it since the fuel is so cheap. I'm wondering if I advanced my timing a little more if that would get the mileage back.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yea, my figures are off....I figured out my sending unit is no where near accurate. Gonna be fillin up tomorrow hopefully so I'm gonna run that tank completely empty, till it sucks air.

I've also been pondering advancing my timing a tad......

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay about advancing the timing, if a person were running a WTO blend, that burns a little hotter:dunno, so would advancing in that case be bad :dunno

I'm just asking so I dont make a really bad decision in the future. There is a trans shop not far away that I want to stop by and see if he has extra WTO.:dunno I'd like to learn before I make a mistake.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Okay about advancing the timing, if a person were running a WTO blend, that burns a little hotter:dunno, so would advancing in that case be bad :dunno

I'm just asking so I dont make a really bad decision in the future. There is a trans shop not far away that I want to stop by and see if he has extra WTO.:dunno I'd like to learn before I make a mistake.

ICBW and take my comment here as internet folklore. It's my understanding that WMO has a higher flash point and slower burn than Diesel. If thats so, wouldn't it make sense to squirt sooner to get full (or more) go go power out of the fuel?

wdkingery

Reaction score
Plus elsewhere guys are saying that the thicker oil is causing the timing to retard (where us without a lift pump are creating alot of vacuum tryin to pull thick fuel)
They also have commented retarded timing causes it to run slightly hotter.
I'm going to install a carburetor style lift pump to see of I won't have to advance my timing (get my diesel clatter back)

wmoguy

Reaction score
Plus elsewhere guys are saying that the thicker oil is causing the timing to retard (where us without a lift pump are creating alot of vacuum tryin to pull thick fuel)
They also have commented retarded timing causes it to run slightly hotter.
I'm going to install a carburetor style lift pump to see of I won't have to advance my timing (get my diesel clatter back)

you don't have a lift pump on your pickup??? :eek:

wmoguy

Reaction score
I read somewhere that WMO is rated at 180000 btu while diesel is 140000 btu, give or take a few thousand.

sounds about right..

I see about a 100 degree increase in EGTs on WMO blends vs. Diesel. I can't say I "feel" a power difference but I haven't dyno'd the 2 fuels side by side to see if it brings any gains.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Hahaha no I don't! Lol it's a 1985 jetta diesel.. No lift pump there!

now that makes MUCH more sense.....

At least in our application (diesel pickups) you've got some sort of pump bringing fuel to the injection pump. Unless we've got a fuel delivery issue going on, no vacuum issue going on for us in terms of the delivery to the IP. ICBW but I don't forsee WMO blends actually altering the static timing of our IDI's. Requiring advanced timing to get a proper burn, makes sense to me though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online