Looking at a truck tonight. Opinions?

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to look at this truck tonight. Looking for what to look for and opinions. Thanks
1999 Ford F-350 Lariat http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4677914

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Your gonna need to put some money on that truck. Injectors, turbo-pedestal-hpop-fuel bowl rebuild, vxalve cover gaskets, ipr, icp, cps... lots of chit to do if the engine isn’t bad.

Tell the owner you want the truck cold when you arrive. Start it and take the oil cap off and invert it. Put it on top of the opening - does the cap blow off? If it does it’s too much blow by.

Bring a good scanner. Good luck!

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See it when it’s cold, if it starts good then send it. I’d look for the big things, take the oil cap off and smell for any burnt electrical smell, smell the coolant. If any diesel smellin the coolant pass. And if it has atune make sure it has an egt gauge otherwise pass

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Who's to say it needs anything?
Chances are, most everything mentioned has already been replaced.
And people always like to hype up the cps for no reason.
Has gauges.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume nothing has been done. Majority of the time they’re not even oem / motorcraft parts. Cps, ipr, icp always gets replaced no matter the age - that’s just me. Funny you bring it up
Bc I still have the 400k cps sensor as backup in the glove compartment.

I just got a SRW to play with and the owner replaced the icp with an Ebay 8$ piece - wth man not cool. 260k. Injectors sound like garbage. Turbo and hpop leaks like a sieve. Engine bay is nothing but dirt mixed with oil - cake only a few layers thick. Calling rosewood for injectors real soon!

All sensors replaced with the good chit. Getting a new knock off turbo with knock off 66x88 wheel. It’s my beater plus I wanna see how these knockoff ported cool side compares to my kcturbo reliability wise. If I can hit 30k with it, I’ll be happy.

Besides all of the above,

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mean, I know you can't always trust a seller's word, but he did say it pulls very well. Lol
I say look at it, drive it, and go from there.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help but, the search continues. Early 99. It started hard. Ran ok. Lacked power off idle. Stalled it twice trying to get going from a stop. All joints in the frontend needed replaced. Tires bald. Had airaid intake with k&n style filter which had been crushed at some point and was only half on the intake tube. Airbag and door ajar lights on. Park brake pedal stuck mashed to the floor. No park brake. Driver's door doesn't lock. Has straight pipe but I need a cat for inspection.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's to say it needs anything?
Chances are, most everything mentioned has already been replaced.
And people always like to hype up the cps for no reason.
Has gauges.

The aux guages (egt & boost) didn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online