lockup torque converter

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My torque converter isn't locking up, I'm told my wire harness clip (lock, on the passenger side) is broken, I've got one ordered.
My question is... what else could cause the T/C not to lockup?
Does the neutral safety switch on the drivers side have anything to do with that.
Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My torque converter isn't locking up, I'm told my wire harness clip (lock, on the passenger side) is broken, I've got one ordered.
My question is... what else could cause the T/C not to lockup?
Does the neutral safety switch on the drivers side have anything to do with that.
Thanks

You should pull the codes. http://www.troublecodes.net/ford

No, the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Switch) would not keep the TC from locking up, as long as your shifted into Drive and it's shifting on up 1-2-3 -OD.
The TC locks up when the trans shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 27 MPH on a normal up shift procedure.
The TC lockup is not functional until the trans temp reaches ~70*F. A bad TOT (Transmission Oil Temp) can cause this.

Your connection at the trans on the pass side could be defective (corroded) or the connector is not pushed in all the way, or the CCC is defective in the solenoid pack. If the heat shield by the connection is not there, exhaust temps will harden the wires, sometimes causing them to short out (bare wires).

When you change the connector, check the resistance between the Black and Green wires, it should be 20 to 30 Ohms. That is the lockup solenoid.

Make sure the trans oil level is up, check when hot and in park with engine running. DO NOT OVERFILL.

Attachments

• E4OD sol. pack.jpg
    E4OD sol. pack.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 42

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks OLDBULL8 I will check the resistance between those wires one my next day off, and thanks again, this is the first I've heard about a TOT and will check that also.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TOT is the two yellow wires. Resistance between 59*F and 105*F should be 16K to 37K. If it checks between there it's OK.