Lockers for 93 F-350?

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
I'm repowering my Plow Truck and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for Rear Lockers for a 93 F-350?

How can I tell what differential set-up I have?

I don't typically run chains and I usually carry about 500+ lbs. of concrete patio blocks for ballast. I was thinking Lockers (in rear at least), would be the cat's meow for pushing my 8' x 600 lb. hydraulic plow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kelly in Big Lake

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
There should be an axle code listed on your door tag. You can decode that on the Google and it'll tell you whatcha got.

Your needs will decide if you should go with limited slips or locking diffs. I don't have any experience with full-size trucks and lockers, but I have run my Jeep CJ-5 with both open diffs and lockers. You're in for a whole new world of traction with a real locker. I currently have Detroit lockers (full carrier lockers) front and rear in the CJ and it is an absolute tank in the sloppy stuff, and other than some ratcheting noises, I don't even notice them on the street. There's no quirky steering or random lockups like some claim such a short wheelbase rig should have.

Before the Detroits, it did have Lock-Rite's (lunchbox locker) on both ends. They were a little more quirky on the street, but never failed me in the dirt.

My truck will be getting Detroits front and rear when I decide to tear into the axles.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
arb air locker. Ive run many locker scenarios on many rigs and i doubt I will ever run a non selectable locker again. Automatic lockers like detroit and the likes get pretty hairy on ice. For me its factory style posi or arb. Open difs suck horribly in the rear also. I'm not sure if there is cheaper options for a selectable but arb is a very good product. limited slip is pretty common on these trucks so you could have it with worn out clutches making it seem like its open. They work pretty good when they are fresh

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to put an Ox Locker in the front of my truck (my truck has the LS rear). This is a cable actuated locker (manual) which I like. I think they also have an electric option but I like the heavy duty cable. With the amount of weight on the front of your truck, what about adding a front locker?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front lockers can cause bad vibrations in turns. Wheel slip also happens. I would not use a front end locker is you drive on road much. Even in my Jeep, I used an open front end. I like steering.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to put an Ox Locker in the front of my truck (my truck has the LS rear). This is a cable actuated locker (manual) which I like. I think they also have an electric option but I like the heavy duty cable. With the amount of weight on the front of your truck, what about adding a front locker?

Sounds like a selective locker (e.g. air actuated ARB), is the way to go as I do recall posi getting a little hairy on icy roads. There will be ice!

I was thinking rear only for now purely for financial reasons but I've yet to price out either front or rear to see if there's any difference in price or plowing performance.

Better go look at my door sticker. Thanks All.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Locker in the front can cause high pucker factors on slick roads. If I were thinking about locking the front, it would be selectable. For the rear, it really is personal preference. All have advantages and disadvantages. I think we can all agree the one wheel peel sucks though.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never run a snow plowing truck but im pretty positive you would regret putting a non selectable locker in the front. lockers in ice snow and mud crab walk very easily if you know what that means. With both tires in unison they will help immensly in keeping forward motion going but will reduce the ability of the truck to track. Hard to explain but with open diffs one tire is kinda like a rudder and one a paddle. Locked is like 2 paddles going the same speed with a flat bottom boat? Dunno if that makes sense but the truck will behave very differently locked in the snow and ice. May be half the time it will seem like gods gift to trucks and the other it will be trying to wreck you.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never run a snow plowing truck but im pretty positive you would regret putting a non selectable locker in the front. lockers in ice snow and mud crab walk very easily if you know what that means. With both tires in unison they will help immensly in keeping forward motion going but will reduce the ability of the truck to track. Hard to explain but with open diffs one tire is kinda like a rudder and one a paddle. Locked is like 2 paddles going the same speed with a flat bottom boat? Dunno if that makes sense but the truck will behave very differently locked in the snow and ice. May be half the time it will seem like gods gift to trucks and the other it will be trying to wreck you.

I'm familiar with crab-walking. When trying to push a large heavy load of the white stuff with the blade angled the truck will want go sideways, away from the push, which can be hair raising in close quarters next to the house or the wife's vehicle. I once removed a hose bib off the wall of my garage last year. Crab walking should be avoided.

KB

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
I'm repowering my Plow Truck and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for Rear Lockers for a 93 F-350?

How can I tell what differential set-up I have?

I don't typically run chains and I usually carry about 500+ lbs. of concrete patio blocks for ballast. I was thinking Lockers (in rear at least), would be the cat's meow for pushing my 8' x 600 lb. hydraulic plow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kelly in Big Lake

Hi Kelly do you know a Rena Petz in Big Lake?

You likely hqve 4.10 gearing or 3.55 but likely 4.10

Door tag as mentioned. It will indicate LSD if there is one by axle code. If it is open differential the quickest least expensive is a lunchbox locker and quite simple to install.

What does your Axle Code say on door tag?

If I come up that way I will bring timing equipment and we can check over your truck.

I hope to be up there in next month or two.

Welcome to OB too

Al

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kelly do you know a Rena Petz in Big Lake?

You likely hqve 4.10 gearing or 3.55 but likely 4.10

Door tag as mentioned. It will indicate LSD if there is one by axle code. If it is open differential the quickest least expensive is a lunchbox locker and quite simple to install.

What does your Axle Code say on door tag?

If I come up that way I will bring timing equipment and we can check over your truck.

I hope to be up there in next month or two.

Welcome to OB too

Al

Hey Al,
I saw Rena on Saturday at the Community BBQ. I think she was was with he daughter.

I'd like to see that timing equipment.

I have a ODB1 code reader on order and I'm about to pull the trigger on buying an OTC 5609 compression test kit for $120. CAD + tax
https://www.otctools.com/products/cylinder-leakage-tester-kit

I'm new to lockers so it's an adventure for me. Need to get the 7.3 power plant replaced first.

Kelly

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These trucks dont use code readers so dont waste $$$ on one.

Pm u my tele # call me

That leakdown needs an adapter for use on diesels....I have all the test equip from diesel comp tester to leakdown to timing ...Kent Moore J33300

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Al,
Here's the door tag from my 1 ton plow truck. I need an Engine and Rear Locker for this one.

Looks like a C5 Axle:
Code Ratio Capacity Maker Type Yr
C5 4.10. 6250 FORD LIMITED SLIP 1991

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance