JD 340 Wheel Loader, motor troubles

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I can't recall (because I didn't write it downcookoo) what model engine, but it has oil in the coolant. Last summer we removed the front cover to reseal it and the water outlet, and all has been fine since. Today I noticed oil in the coolant when I was changing a leaking hose from the oil cooler. Now, the water in the small hoses and inside the oil cooler is good looking clean a/f, but in the radiator, and the drain **** on the front cover, is sludgy. I pulled the cooler off and sealed the hoses and applied air, submerged in water, and found no leaks there.

The engine oil is clean.

Is there any type of hydraulic cooler on those, like plumbed to the radiator?

The local JD service dept leaves quite a bit to be desired (Portland, OR) in our experiences anyways. Just thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone knew much about these or has encountered a similar problem.

Thanks.

Chris

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I dont think there is any coolers in the radiator but you are best served to check that yourself. Just look for lines other than collant lines going into it. If you have really thick black stuff in the coolant you may have a blown headgasket or worse. Soot makes some nasty stuff when bubbled through antifreeze. From what I read in your post it sounds like you ruled out the oil cooler.
Good Luck
Ken

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
There actually is, three hyd lines run to the radiator. Had it pressure tested and it's all fine. Took the head off last night to be pressure tested, but didn't find anything visually that lead me to believe there was a problem.
This motor doesn't have liners, so no chance of a liner seal leaking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online