It's all in the gears, apparently

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Truckie, as cool as straights look on a Pete, I wouldn't run them, without at least an under-mounted muffler. Too many towns/counties have Jake laws. It just gives them a reason to stop you, and give you a quick inspection.

One of our O/O's has 7" straights on his 94 379. He won't run into CA, period. He also has genuine train horns, and has been gigged for them a couple times. Not for the noise, but for not being DOT approved.

Apex, unless you are going to put straights on, I'd keep stock, non-cat, mufflers, so you can use all the existing bracketry. makes no sense to put out all the extra $$$ for pretties, when the real goal is performance.

Truckie

Reaction score
Apextrans The Pete dealer he deals with is Hunters. They are on Rt. 8 north in Butler Pennsylvania. The Cat dealer he deals with is Beckwith in Cranberry twp Pennsylvania.
Packrat I know what your are saying, about Ca there a pain in the ***. To tell ya the truth none of the straight piped guy's here have had any problem with the locals or DOT. I tried straight piping my Mack and that only lasted for 2 days. It sounded great when you were on the throttle :thumbsup: but when you hit the Jake man it was another story. It was the loudest and most obnoxious sound I ever heard, :puke: literally scared the :number2 out of a horse on the side of the road. I couldn't believe it but I acutely lost some performance with the muffler off, I noticed it back when I put on the new muffler. I cant remember what type it is i'll have to look in the morning.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Yeah,

I was considering a staight pipes but I run through alot of little towns in NC & I sleep in the truck a fair bit so I think I should have mufflers on it. I do like a staight piped Jake crackin' down the road. Gives me a little chub, ya know :D

Truckie

Reaction score
LOL on the chub, I don't know that I would put 2 mufflers on the truck, run straight pipes up the side as usually and put a pepper pot which is a small muffler or some people call them resonators under the truck. You will still get a nice sound but it wont be that loud crack most of us like.
When get a chance to run out to the shed I will check on the muffler I put on my Mack, I got the old box in there. I do believe it is a Donaldson I got it from Mack for around $70.00.