It's all in the gears, apparently

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The first couple C-15 ACERT's we got, didn't pull, or get mileage, like the old C-15's.

The latest batch has higher rear gears. The first one went out Monday, and yesterday, the driver told the dispatcher that it pulls better than his pre-smog C-15, and seems to be making decent mileage, already. He went from an 01 Pete, C-15, 18 speed, 3.70's, to a new W-900, ACERT, autoshift 18, 3.36's.

We are working on the second of three, now. It'll be interesting to see how the guys like them, compared to their Pete's. Both of these guys have autostick, already.

The boss is even considering a gear change for the first ACERT/auto truck, to see what the actual difference is.

When I find out anything interesting, I'll drop it in here.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
One of the guys really dislikes it. I think it's mostly because he's been driving most of his life, and this is his 1st one. Eaton has been working up some different shift programs for him, but they haven't gotten it dialed in, to suit him, yet. The rest of them love it. In fact, the last guy that got one, said he really didn't want it. After driving it a week, he's hooked.

Around the yard, I'd rather have a handshaker. The standard shift program doesn't upshift, until around 17-1800 rpm. I see no need for that, when I'm mostly moving empty trailers, no faster than 15 mph. The best yard truck I've used so far, was a buddy's old Jimmy daycab, with a 6V-71, 6 speed. It would go twice as fast, in reverse, compared to our company rigs.

Our yard guy down at Mac just moved into one of our Pete's with an auto. I'm interested to find out how he likes it, for yard work.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I've griped about my ACERT on this board before. I'm running 3.36 rears w/ a 13 speed & it still runs like crap, after much tinkering, flashing, & adjusting. Is it possible the 18 speed verses 13 speed is making that big a difference? Manual shift, by the way.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Absolutely. People think those extra splits are a waste. You can never have enough gears.

The boss' nephew had a bridge motor, and gained over half a mile per gallon, changing to the old style mufflers. Not to mention that the muffs are $50 each, versus $1000 for catalysts.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
PackRat said:
The boss' nephew had a bridge motor, and gained over half a mile per gallon, changing to the old style mufflers. Not to mention that the muffs are $50 each, versus $1000 for catalysts.

You're the third person I've heard say that. I had a tech @ Carolina Caterpiller tell me to try that. What he didn't say is if it would void any warrenties by removing the catalyst mufflers. This pig has given me too much trouble to chance voiding my warrenty. Any ideas about that?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
It may be extra work, but I'd get the regulars, and keep the cats, in case you have to go in for warranty work. **** swaps really aren't much work, on a Pete.

Now that you mention it, the SM at our Pete dealer never mentioned the warranty issue, either. Maybe if your tight with your dealer, they will let you work around it. I can't see that the cats do anything but make things harder for the upstream components.

That is the double edged sword of having a new ride. Sometimes you can't do the things that need done to make it work good, without catching heat from the claims department.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I was thinking that the last pair I bought was $59 each. Now that you mention it, it might have been $79. I'll have to check tomorrow. I get a pretty good deal through NTC, because we have a consignment from them.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
apextrans said:
Can ya help a fellow oil burner out?

The shipping on them is what's gonna bite you in the butt. I'll see what the current price is tomorrow.

I can't remember is they were Donaldsons, or Walkers. Probly Don's. I get a lot of stuff through Nebraska Truck Center.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I looked at the box. The price on the one I've got is $70.94. I haven't checked the current price. It came from some place out of Wichita. I haven't bought from them, so it's at least 3 years old.

http://www.nebraskatruck.com/

If you call Grand Island, Ask for Curt or Chad, on the Freighliner side. Curt is the guy that calls me, and Chad is my route guy.

Truckie

Reaction score
apextrans I got a buddy of mine who has a 05 Pete with them 336s but he got an 18 speed in his runs good but now runs even better. Just this weekend we took off the mufflers and put on 6" straight pipes. We talked to the Pete dealer and the Cat dealer and they said no problem in removing the cat mufflers. The only exception is that he would be responsible for any thing that concerns the smog **** on his engine. After talking to the one rep he told me that he actually recommends removing them cat mufflers to a lot of his customers.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
PackRat said:
I looked at the box. The price on the one I've got is $70.94. I haven't checked the current price. It came from some place out of Wichita. I haven't bought from them, so it's at least 3 years old.

http://www.nebraskatruck.com/

If you call Grand Island, Ask for Curt or Chad, on the Freighliner side. Curt is the guy that calls me, and Chad is my route guy.

Thanks Packrat, I'll get with them Monday.

Truckie, what dealer (Cat or Pete) was he talking too? Is it G.L. Sayre or Ranson Engine by chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online