Injectors after two years running WMO

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my injectors, glow plugs, and return lines on my 89 Ford 7.3 diesel. I have been running WMO about 70-80% of the time at a 80-90% ratio for the last two years about 10-12,000 miles. I thought I would post some pictures of how the injectors and glow plugs looked. I was very surprised to find no bad ash build up. They look to me to be fairly clean to me. They truck does run much better now as I am sure these were OE and the truck has about 225,000 on it. Sorry the pics are not the best! If anyone wants better I will try to get some.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 107

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want not better pics but other questions answered...

Does it prefer WMO over ATF?

How much filtration?

Is it a PITA finding donating sources?

Wintertime..... how does the viscosity change?

Thinking Salem doesn't quite have the 0 degree bullsh#@ we deal with here, correct me if I am wrong...

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does not really seem to care what it burns. I have run ATF, WMO, and lots of other stuff with no really difference in power. On high doses of ATF it does smoke more. I pre filter to 5 microns with a household water filter setup, and then dump it in. I have 3 fuel filters on the truck. The first is a cheap spin on oil filter, then a Racor Vormax with a Wixs 33005 3 micron filter and then the stock filter. Donation sources are very easy for me. I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for WMO and had a local trucking outfit reply. They store the waste oil in the large plastic cubes in the metal cages. I bought a new on and when I go out there we just swap cubes with there forklift. It works great. They generate more than I can use. I have over 400 gallons stored in two 250 gallon oil tanks. No 0 degree weather in Salem. I grew up in NC Eastern Washington so I do know what ya mean on the cold temps. The coldest we saw this Winter was about 17-20 degrees. I had to run about a 50/50 mix then and plug in the block heater at night. I faithfully run Power Service in every tank, and 16 ounces of two stroke oil every tank.

Attachments

• 197.jpg
    197.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 196.jpg
    196.jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 42

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks..

You have inspired me to head this route when I am done with my swap.

ckelly94

Reaction score
So is your actual fuel mileage and power both up burning the WMO over straight diesel ?

I realize that you're saving 80%-90% on your fuel costs burning that percentage WMO, but just curious about actual numbers.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It "feels" like it has more power but MPG has not changed. What do you mean by actual numbers?:dunno

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably that..
e.g.

did the pyro elevate?

mpg up?

mpg down?

etc. etc.

Sounds like our ol trucks dont really care, they just want to burn it.

:D

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Why do you add the 2-Cycle oil? You are already adding lubricant with the WMO/ATF.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was the oil heated before injection?separate tank?

when I tried single tanking wmo,when it was cold it would form deposits on the injectors.the deposits created higher than normal pressure in the injectors which eroded away various parts of the injectors.

this was on a first gen cummins.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't thin our IDI's are as finicky about their diet as a First gen Cummins...

At least that is what I am gathering...

Welcome, ID brother from the North, lived from Uniontown WA to Kooskia ID when i was a kid... Was in Lewiston every-every other weekend for shopping when we were in Kooskia for 8 years.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you add the 2-Cycle oil? You are already adding lubricant with the WMO/ATF.

I add the two stroke oil because of a study that found that used oil has lost a lot of it's lubrication value. I also get better MPG when I run it.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was the oil heated before injection?separate tank?

when I tried single tanking wmo,when it was cold it would form deposits on the injectors.the deposits created higher than normal pressure in the injectors which eroded away various parts of the injectors.

this was on a first gen cummins.

I have the factory dual tanks. The front tank is the WMO mix and the back tank is straight diesel. The WMO is heated by my Racor Vormax and a heat exchanger that is right before the factory filter. When fully warmed up the WMO is 160-190. I try to start and shut down on diesel. I have shut down on WMO and restarted it with starting fluid. [I have the glow plugs on a manual push button.] It does not seem to be very picky on what it burns. I've run ATF, WMO, hydraulic oil, kerosene, gear oil, and who knows what else and it all burns!:D

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't thin our IDI's are as finicky about their diet as a First gen Cummins...

At least that is what I am gathering...

Welcome, ID brother from the North, lived from Uniontown WA to Kooskia ID when i was a kid... Was in Lewiston every-every other weekend for shopping when we were in Kooskia for 8 years.

yea I hear ya on that.Old IDI fords will run on anything,then P pumped cummins,then anything with a rotary pump.in that order.

it wouldn't surprise me if someone was running there IDI ford on heated asphalt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online