Ignition Switch Lock

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the piece that breaks. It's supposed to be one piece in the picture, not two. A very poor design, it's only potmetal. You can get a new one at the parts store, they sell boat loads of them. You can see the notch in the lower part that lets the shifter move.

You must be registered for see images

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I just replaced my ignition switch and guess what? Yeah. Why can't it just be that simple for once?

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this ignition rod a AT and MT thing or just AT? My MT is having some times where it won't start on the first try. Starting to think I need to hurry up with the jeep body swap. :)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this ignition rod a AT and MT thing or just AT? My MT is having some times where it won't start on the first try. Starting to think I need to hurry up with the jeep body swap. :)

Try bypassing the clutch safety switch and see if that helps. The switches go bad, mine has to be ALL the way down, takes quite a bit some days.

Transmission interlock I think is auto only.

Yes and no. I'm thinking the notch that is the interlock on an auto is most likely the same notch that holds the key in on a manual unless you hold the release. Different functions but I think they're actuated by the same part by the way Franklin2 described it.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try bypassing the clutch safety switch and see if that helps. The switches go bad, mine has to be ALL the way down, takes quite a bit some days.

I'll check it. Previous owner had a push button wired in. I took it out when I found the ignition worked and after my 4 year old tried to run me over while I was leaned over the front. :)

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my weekend went downhill and I have to work........ If I get time Ill start it late this afternoon. My thinking is since this is a common albeit confusing problem I'll document every step and maybe do a separate post so in the future when this happens others will know what to expect. Another interesting thought do we have any machinists in here? Maybe they could make one out of steel or stainless and never have to worry about it again....? I'd pay for the piece of mind not to worry about it breaking again lol.