I Need Some Idi Info!

OleBlue

Smoke Em If Ya Got
Reaction score
I have a 1991 Ford F-250, It Has a 7.3l Idi With the E40D. With 193,*** miles. It has been acting real funny lately. It has been starting real hard in the morning and when it does a BIG cloud of white smoke pours out but then it stops any help? The main thing i am worried about is I replaced the lift pump, and filter about a month ago and has been running like a champ, But here the past couple of days i can be driving and it will just die! But i can throw it in neutral and it will start right up.? Another thing is i can Rev it up, and when i let off the throttle, there is a 50/50 chance that ether it will drop below 500rpm and stall out or it will catch its self and go to and idle. i am lost! I am pretty sure i have a bad injector but would that cause that? or could it be the IP going out? I night have and idea that it could be the fuel filter being full of dirt or build up, Because not too long ago i dropped my rear tank and fixed the pickup tube, (kept dying at 1/4 tank). And what happened is it may have picked up some CRAP off the bottom.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well first off Welcome to Oilburners, you will find a wealth of knowledge and support here.

I'd suggest starting with determining if the IP or injectors have been replaced? are the injectors gray in colour like the factory paint? How about a rebuilder tag o the IP?

Most likely the truck is due for a IP and injectors, along with return lines. This would help out a lot I"m sure, though lets wait on some others suggestions.

are the tops of the injectors wet? Do you see any leaks on the small lines between the injectors or from the caps?

There are great parts available here at this site.

Mel known here as Agnem has Conestoga Diesel he remans pumps and has injectors too. His line of Moose products are well known as a quality product. His line of products with IP's injectors, and return line kits as well as delving into turbo's too should be great for everyone.

Typ4 here his name is Russ, also does injectors, return line kits, turbos and even a cam.

Genlightening offers us the Carrier lift pump which is a fantastic electric lift pump.

So we have you covered with parts and advice.

Please before shelling out yer hard earned sheckles...look at the HALL OF SHAME to learn which retailers suppliers and places to avoid and not get stung! Also take a few minutes look into the tech section for some great ideas, as well as the FAQ section for even more infomation

Also if you can fill your signature in it helps us alot. go to the upper right select SETTINGS...then on left of screen scroll down till you see EDIT SIGNATURE select that one fill yer info and save n yer done.

Again Welcome to OB

Al

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start with the second new filter just to eliminate that as a possibility. Check everywhere for fuel leaks, above and below the return caps, at every fuel connection etc. If you find no leaks, switch to the front tank when you replace the filter and see if that changes anything. If the problem continues, its probably not related to fuel delivery up to the injector pump.

Next, check the little return check valve on the top of the injector pump, if it has stuff in it and is really stiff, chances are the injector pump is on its way out and needs to be replaced.

Also echoing what was mentioned before, check your injectors for age (the factory paint job is a pretty good way to check that) and check your injector pump for paint dabs on various adjustment screws and the possible presence of a rebuild tag. If there are no signs of new parts here then with the mileage your truck has, its likely you just need new injectors and a new pump. Try to replace these at the same time. If you end up replacing these things, then you should do the return caps and lines as well.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
It could also be the Fuel tank switch. I just went through a similar problem where the truck would run fine, then stall out. I ran a new fuel hose from the lift pump directly to the tank and it solved the problem. to make it real simple, I would get a piece of clear tubing and replace the short rubber line running into the lift pump. that way you can see if its sucking air.

OleBlue

Smoke Em If Ya Got
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info your guys have provided. Yea, Injector on #4 Cylinder The Cap Was Leaking, so i removed the nut and cleaned the surface. Thats Why i think i am having injector issues. But as far as the stalling out i am going to replace my fuel filter, and see how it does. When i get some money saved up i am going to go ahead and put a new IP pump, Injectors, And Glow plugs in it. Is there any Recommendations On who would have the better product. As far as the injectors go they are factory, they are covered in grey paint. But as far as the ip pump goes i am not quite sure. There are paint dots on certain screws.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
First thing, pull off your fuel filter and drain it. Then refill it (or a new one) with ATF or Diesel Kleen (be sure to only fill it through the outer ring of holes, so everything gets filtered) Then start your truck. Let it run for about 45 seconds, then shut it down and let it sit overnight. The "return to idle" problem sounds like a sticky metering valve in your IP, and doing that will often fix it. Next, pull off the fitting where your return lines connect to the filter head. That is a one way check valve. If you can blow through it both ways, then that will cause air intrusion, which is what your hard cold starts sound like. Next go ahead and PM Russ (user name type4) he will sell you a new return kit. It's cheap, and his kit is better than you will get elsewhere.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double check the fuel line on your new lift pump. I installed one to quickly not to long ago an had the same problem occur from having the fuel line pinched on the frame rail.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'd say that with 193 K miles on the OEM fuel system, it's time for an update. I'm pretty sure that if you take those injs out and have them pop tested, they're not gonna look good.

If you removed a return cap and did not replace the o-rings, I'd bet you have air intrusion. Hard starts/white smoke on start.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated above, the stalling when chopping the throttle certainly sounds like a sticking metering valve. Try the ATF trick and keep a fuel lube (Howes, Power Service, or something similar) in the diesel at each fill up. What's your fuel pressure?

I hate to say it, but if it just dies running down the road randomly, it could be a bad lift pump out of the box. Or......... a failing fuel shutoff solenoid on the IP........... or it may all go back to the sticking metering valve. Something is messing with the fuel supply to the engine when that happens. At any rate......... when the metering valve starts acting up, it's usually time to start looking for another IP.......... at least in my experience.

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Is there any Recommendations On who would have the better product......

.....As far as the injectors go they are factory, they are covered in grey paint. But as far as the ip pump goes i am not quite sure. There are paint dots on certain screws.

Well as I posted Mel at Conestoga Diesel has a great product.

Ff your going to go overboard and crazy developing power R&D IDI Power has IP's too from stock to wild!

OleBlue

Smoke Em If Ya Got
Reaction score
I bought a new filter, and filled it with a bottle of diesel clean. Then ran it for a bit, it seemed to help ALOT! I think what happened was when I did the pick-up tube extension it sucked up some dirt from the bottom of the tank. It does not die or stall out now when I rev it up and let off. I still wanna get a new ip and some injectors soon