I need advice

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Hello guys

I have recently pulled my engine took it to the machinest.
My engine is a 94 7.3 turbo idi 200k

Block and heads checked out ok in good shape. He said I really took care of it from what he saw.

The next week he called and said that he wanted to deck the block.
Also that he had a buddy from an affiliate shop that would shave the pistons. All this he quoted at $400 extra.

The reason he wants to deck the block is, he said that it had dimples in it and that he could not sleep at night if he didnt get it out to me right.
Initially ,he suggested a pair of thicker head gaskets to compinsate for the decking. :rolleyes:

From my reading here and there I know that thicker head gaskets is not the way to go.

So I just told him to leave it as is and that I couldn't see putting any more money in the engine. The reason being is that I plan on selling the truck for some type of DI but I want to still have a good reliable truck to drive untill i get the trade I'm looking for.

that being said, What would you guys do. The machinist still has my engine.
Please tell me what you would tell the machinist to do to the engine.

I dont take for granted your time guys.
Thanks.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
hey there, havent done this so i cant say for sure, but ive read alot on here that you have to be very careful with any sort of machine work on these blocks......i would be very very very careful and avoid this if possible.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. The IDI Turbo pistons are anodized to help with high EGT's IIRC. Shaving them would not only make them weaker but would of course get rid of the anodizing.

I can't think of how the dimples could have gotten into the surface of the block, but it doesn't sound like they would cause a leak. You don't happen to have a pic of the block do you?

There are others here much more experienced than I, but from what I know (I've not done a huge amount of diesel work, but was a car tech for 5 years and do lots of motorcycle stuff) that sounds really fishy.

best of luck

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Thanks guys

I dont remember the block having dimples Ill get some pics out later this week
I sure am glad I told him to leave it as is, I forgot about the pistons being treated for egts.

I love my truck dont get me wrong. I just want another project truck that is economically feasible for me to upgrade. Eventually I want to be able to make it to the tractor pulls and not be :rotflmao at.

I know its gonna take time to own/build the perfect truck that satisfies my needs and not sell. When I do own this perfect truck , I will then get another project truck and continue the cycle for someone else. Or I'll prolly sell them my old perfect truck and keep the new one.?

Whatever,
Anyway, thanks guys for your responses'

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it will hurt anything on the IDI but I know form past experiance with small block chevy's,that some small pitting on block and head surfaces wont affect cylinder sealing. I discussed this with a guy at a machine shop that has built hundreds of racing engines when I was concered about some pitting on the head surface around a water passage on the last SB I built.

sassyrel

Reaction score
DONT machine the block--or the pistons--leave alone--and put back together--umless your really going to crank it--shouldnt be a problem--clearances are toooooooo close the way it is---

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Roger

Thanks guys, I'll call the machinist in the morning and confirm to him to not shave anything.

On another note I am curently having my turbo rebuilt and ip,
this is being done by another machinists and he said that he would turn the pump up 5%. Also said that the turbo was leaking oil and most of my injecters where bad. He tested the injecters right in front of me. I feel like he has good character so I went with what he said. Hes from india or somewhere, about 100 yrs old but looks 60-70ish.

Can I just keep my same garret turbo and bolt on a bigger down pipe and experience some improved performance?

Thanks guys for all your input

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Tynian said:
Roger

Thanks guys, I'll call the machinist in the morning and confirm to him to not shave anything.

On another note I am curently having my turbo rebuilt and ip,
this is being done by another machinists and he said that he would turn the pump up 5%. Also said that the turbo was leaking oil and most of my injecters where bad. He tested the injecters right in front of me. I feel like he has good character so I went with what he said. Hes from india or somewhere, about 100 yrs old but looks 60-70ish.

Can I just keep my same garret turbo and bolt on a bigger down pipe and experience some improved performance?

Thanks guys for all your input

Agreed to all of that except the 5% thing. Only that??? cookoo