Home heating fuel oil

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I did a few years ago.
The place where my aunt lived had a fuel oil furance setup. There was about 20 gallons left in the tank.(A tank that I might use for wmo purposes)
Didn't really see any differences between that any #1 diesel fuel. Maybe a little less power etc.
Had a different odor at times.
I think it could be used like #1 fuel.

StBernardnot

Reaction score
As an old fuel hauler & new member, I know #2 fuel oil is the same as diesel with few or no additives. #1 is thinner & I would not use it straight unless it is really necessary. (super cold, below zero). We seldom ran over a 50-50 blend. My location is N. Central Iowa. Bitter cold @ times & near constant wind. I really like this website & the info in it. Thanks to all of you!

Armo

Reaction score
Heating oil around here is usually no.1, it is fine to burn a bit dryer then no.2 diesel and burns a touch hotter so adding a quart or 2 of motor oil can help that. Around here we mix it atleast 50/50 no.1 an 2 to stop filter waxing in diesel vehicles during winter.(fuel stations even have pumps that have a button for 50/50) If its kerosene it will burn fine as well but just be wary some of it is red in color. In my area some even burn jet a1. Jet a1 burns fine as well, its a dryer fuel an burns more like kero and ive been told on several occasions it is pretty much kero but with a lot stricter processing such as cleaner final product and a bit dryer(less lubrication). I use jet a1 in place of kerosene applications cause it is a lot cheaper and priced sometimes cheaper then no.1. My forced air space heaters and my kerosene wick lamps work fine on jet a1.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've burned a lot of HHO mixed 50/50 with WMO. Works fine, however the mixture does burn hotter than straight diesel.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I'm running about an 8020 mix right now on my way home from picking up about 100 gallons of home heating oil I seem to be down a bit on power but other than that can't tell any difference

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put some centane booster in. I had a batch of fuel recently that I used about 15 year old kero to mix with. Truck ran like **** until I dumped in some gray power service

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine seamed fine too going down the highway but on a hill it would die.

My dad warned me not to the old fuel, that it doesn't have any heat. I chuckled and said I haven't won a race yet with that truck.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
The five gallon pails I used had some dirt and dirty oil residue in them. I planned to filter the home oil anyway and didn't care. I figured 25 year old fuel would be nasty. Well low and behold it was perfectly clear What's interesting is it absolutely cleaned the five gall pails out. Better than my parts washer.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a few hundred gallons and ran some through my 'fuge. This fuel oil has an insane amount of water in it. The tank was stored inside a unheated garage.
I'm wanting to try to 'fuge some diesel to compare. If regular diesel has the same amount of water in it, I wonder what will happen if I removed it all. Would my fuel mileage go up? Hmmm.........

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Mine was stored outside since 1988 and is water free. I think being in the garage let humidity in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk