High Engine Oil Temperature

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Brothers,

Yesterday I needed to go buy fireworks in PA. I figured this would be a good opportunity to feel how my new injectors and "John Air" really worked together. There are a few inclines around the MD portion of the "ridge" that gave me a chance to "see what she's got"!

The best part was coming home and getting ready for the "approach to the ridge". Just as I took the far left lane with nobody in front of me, I noticed a new Cummings (sticker still in the window) merge on at Boonsboro (the bottom of the hill). He also took the left lane. The IDI made me proud but have to give way at 78 mph (can't wait for that 3.55 gear change!).

I was real happy with the response of my boost (never asked for more than 11 psi), EGT's never exceeded 800 F but the oil temperature was as high as 250 F (Banks TC at oil drain plug). Banks manual says not to exceed 240 F. What are your thoughts on the high oil temperature? It was only about 75 F outside.

Thanks,
John

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
well i dont' know what info banks is going by but... the flash point of dino oil is 315 and if your running synthetic it is WAY higher than that... i'm curious as to how they arrived at that number.. heck the water doesn't even burn off untill 212

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online