• SL375337.JPG
    SL375337.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 3

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Cal,

It that a regular sealed beam, that sits in a housing so it looks like a composite headlight?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VERY nice ;Sweet Looks better than when I last saw it, and CERTAINLY better than the "before" pics you showed me :shocked:

It that a regular sealed beam, that sits in a housing so it looks like a composite headlight?
Actually, that is a composite headlight...looks like the headlights came off a late-model U.S. spec 126. Early (pre-'86 IIRC) U.S. spec 126's had sealed beam lights; they went to that composite headlight design in (I think) 1986. The Euro lights are different still...

Early U.S. spec headlights:
You must be registered for see images attach

Late U.S. spec headlights:
You must be registered for see images

Euro lights (note that it's the same car that had the early U.S. headlights :D ):
You must be registered for see images attach

A better shot of the Euro lens:
You must be registered for see images

I've said it before and I'll say it again...appearance aside, the European-spec light pattern is much more efficient than the DOT-spec light pattern...it puts more light where you actually need it while not blinding oncoming traffic ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, no :D I've actually never owned a 126...I've owned two W123's and a W116. I still technically own one of those 123's (sold it to a good friend, but the title's in my hands as a lienholder until he finishes paying me off), but I'm using a TDI Jetta as my daily driver now ;Sweet

Besides, the 126 in Calvin's post is a gray-market g@$$er...it's the only 126 I've ever seen with hand-crank windows :shocked: it's in really nice shape overall, but while I have little bad to say about M-B diesels, I'm very wary of their g@$ engines...

I'd like to get a LWB 126 300SDL someday, but that'll have to wait until I have more space...with where I live now, juggling two vehicles is difficult enough :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys didnt tell me you were into MBZ diesels! i love me some *****!
I've owned close to a dozen MBZ diesels. They live a very short life thanks to my daughter's mom. yes, the one in the pics is a gasser car but could easily get a diesel transplant. it already comes with a diesel radiator and oil cooler. ;Sweet rather than hunt down the unobtainable gray market gasser radiator, I put in a diesel radiator and de-gas bottle. fits in there like it should and problem solved.:D;Sweet got a "thumbs up" from one of my old boss/mentor for that one.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, the one in the pics is a gasser car but could easily get a diesel transplant. it already comes with a diesel radiator and oil cooler. ;Sweet rather than hunt down the unobtainable gray market gasser radiator, I put in a diesel radiator and de-gas bottle. fits in there like it should and problem solved.:D;Sweet got a "thumbs up" from one of my old boss/mentor for that one.
COOL :thumbsup: !! Only problem with swapping a diesel in is that I imagine the CARB would blow a gasket -cuss

With that said, a 126 with a cloth interior, a 617, and a 4 speed (or, even better, an elusive 5 speed :sly ) would be a great car IMHO ;Sweet

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I've seen a driving legal om617 swap on a 380sl. He's a friends friend and said it wasn't hard to deal with the paperwork

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I've owned close to a dozen MBZ diesels. They live a very short life thanks to my daughter's mom. yes, the one in the pics is a gasser car but could easily get a diesel transplant. it already comes with a diesel radiator and oil cooler. ;Sweet rather than hunt down the unobtainable gray market gasser radiator, I put in a diesel radiator and de-gas bottle. fits in there like it should and problem solved.:D;Sweet got a "thumbs up" from one of my old boss/mentor for that one.

Poor cars! Im not too into w124 cars but love w123 and w126 diesels. I also have only owned w123 cars. Im always looking for oddball diesel's like my o309d bus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online