Here's and IDI for sale that you don't see everyday,..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a boat load of crap,..The government is just killing small business one by one,..

Sorry Man, that sucks.

Darrin, it gets "better" actually, there is another law that recently passed that smogs all 1998 and newer diesels, regardless of GVW - so if you have a seriously hopped-up SuperDuty F250 that is less than 10 years old you may be in for some fun as well... Commiefornia at its best, again.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
They get ya with the GVW's. Commercial or not.:bs

Did it with me here in Michigan.:mad:
Both my duallies are titled different.
Goldie has a higher GVW and the license plates for it are 2 1/2 times the price of the Beef and therefore gets a commercial title..:dunno

Darrin hit it right on. The little guys will disappear. The bigger companies will be in debt up thier wazoos paying for the retrofits or new vehicles in order to survive.cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin, you said "commercial vehicles over 14k", and I've seen the text of that darn law and IIRC that's exactly what it says - what if you have a non-commercial vehicle that is over 14k GVW? Like this U-haul service truck, if someone buys it for their personal use, and they do not own a transport or towing and recovery business, wouldn't that make the truck a non-commercial vehicle? He's not making any money with it, chances are he will likely not put many miles on it either, will the CARB pencil-pushers still treat the truck as a gross-polluting money-maker and force it off the roads?
In kali, all trucks are commercial vehicles unless it leaves the factory being designated as a pickup(PU/PK) in the titling. The only time it escapes the rule is when it is built or converted to a RV. You can own any commercial vehicle for private use, but you will still pay the tags, carry the appropriate insurance, and follow the same emissions rules as everyone else does. This is why you don't see too many f450's and bigger in private hands in kali.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron, what's Goldie's GVW? Mine is 10k and I pay like $65 or so for regular tags. And how come essentially identical trucks (sans the D60 front axle) have different GVW, why is Goldie higher than the Beef?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In kali, all trucks are commercial vehicles unless it leaves the factory being designated as a pickup(PU/PK) in the titling. The only time it escapes the rule is when it is built or converted to a RV. You can own any commercial vehicle for private use, but you will still pay the tags, carry the appropriate insurance, and follow the same emissions rules as everyone else does. This is why you don't see too many f450's and bigger in private hands in kali.

Well that's some major bull, right there! So you may not make any money with it, yet you still have to pay the state as if you did. Great logic, right there. Tho I guess MI ain't much better, considering what Ron said...

What if you started with an F250/350, and upgraded it to the F450 (in our case F-Superduty) axles and suspension from a donor truck? You get your high GVW as a personal safety factory, yet you don't have to comply with the commercial vehicles laws. Nowadays there are plenty of folks who put 10-lug wheels on their 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickups, so even the nut count per wheel ain't no real indication as to what you really did...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ron, what's Goldie's GVW? Mine is 10k and I pay like $65 or so for regular tags. And how come essentially identical trucks (sans the D60 front axle) have different GVW, why is Goldie higher than the Beef?

Can't recall right off hand what the #'s GVW difference is but I pay that for the Beef.

Goldie was a 4x4 C/C converted to 4x4 C/C dually. The D60 is the only thing I can think that gives it a higer GVW.:dunno

I questioned them on it when I choked at the $137 price for the plates.
trust me, I wasn't happy either.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The laws aren't as stringent here in the NW, but the DMV does try to stick you with commercial T plates if your truck has a GVW over 10K. The easy solution for me has been to buy a piled up beater F250/350 of the same vintage and use the VIN and title on the heavier truck. I'm not endorsing this for commercial use, but for a private individual that just wants a heavy duty tow rig it's an easy solution.

I just don't get stupid with it. If I need to tow a dozer of heavy piece of machinery I take backroads or I break the machine into smaller pieces so it doesn't appear that I'm towing that much weight. It's pretty easy to get over the 26K pound range with a dually truck and trailer even when it might look in a casual glance to be in the 15K-20K range.

I've found I can get away with a lot more weight in a single wheel pickup than I can with a dually. You're more likely to get a stare from law enforcement towing 20K with a dually than sitting at 30K with a single wheel truck. Again, I don't do this on a regular basis, but have a few times for short distances. It's a situation where it makes no sense to pay $2000 to move a $1000 dozer, milling machine or load of scrap.