heater core just popped

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything I should know before replacing it? As a temporary fix is it ok to loop the system? Is there an after market brand to get or stay away from?
Thanks

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything I should know before replacing it? As a temporary fix is it ok to loop the system? Is there an after market brand to get or stay away from?
Thanks

Bypassing it is fine. Don't let the hose crimp when you do.
Back when it got cold here, I popped down to o'Reilly and grabbed an aluminum cheapie, stuck it in, and it's been
fine since. Really quick install - drop the glovebox, and everthing is RIGHT THERE :)
I picked up the filter kit also, but did not install it then. Should have, I think it's a very good idea.
<als>

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Bypassing it is fine. Don't let the hose crimp when you do.
Back when it got cold here, I popped down to o'Reilly and grabbed an aluminum cheapie, stuck it in, and it's been
fine since. Really quick install - drop the glovebox, and everthing is RIGHT THERE :)
I picked up the filter kit also, but did not install it then. Should have, I think it's a very good idea.
<als>

Whatever you did to make that aluminum one work, I don't know. I tried that route with my old '84 and it wouldn't fit at all. So I took it back and went with the brass one. I recommend the brass; it's actually made as an OEM replacement. The aluminum wasn't shaped right.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing! I went through an OEM motorcraft one every year for three years in a row. Said the heck with it, got an aluminum one from Oreilly (totally against my better judgement) and haven't had to touch it since install! it was a bit of a booger to get in, but the inlet/outlet swivel...once I figured that out, went right in! Scared the **** out of me when they moved the first time! lol It was half the price of OEM, which they wouldn't warranty because their ****** 90 day warranty, but I've been running this one for nearly 4 years now. Have the receipt handy as I figured it would be a yearly change as well! I flush and fill every year with fleet charge as well, so it wasn't due to lack of cooling system maintenance, was just ****** OEM heater cores!

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you did to make that aluminum one work, I don't know. I tried that route with my old '84 and it wouldn't fit at all. So I took it back and went with the brass one. I recommend the brass; it's actually made as an OEM replacement. The aluminum wasn't shaped right.

Nothing special. It just fell right in. :)
You might have gotten some chinese knockoff that just was not the same.
I did add quite a bit of foam padding all around it, but that was just because it was handy.
Been a year or so. No problems (with that anyway).
<als>

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are two styles, depending on factory A/C or dealer A/C and no A/C. I had no problem with my aluminum unit, I think it was a Spectra.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine popped right after (literally within 30 seconds) of installing my orifice valve, which was the last part I needed to fix my AC. Funny how that happens

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on oriellys. Installed one, popped a week later. Went back in, after work tired and pissed. Got a new one, and a gallon of antifreeze for free repaired in parking lot. All is well a month later