had a "duh" moment

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
just a reminder as it's getting colder

don't assume it's your glowplugs, check the controller is putting out power........ :frustrate

needless to say, my truck (which had already been converted to manual gps) now has a nice constant duty rated solenoid (spare for one of my plow trucks) instead of a regular gp controller, along with a brand new set of berus that apparently weren't needed...

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
tested 1, it was bad and the set was 2 years old, I hate working on the truck outside in winter, so if one is bad, they all get changed

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a reminder as it's getting colder

don't assume it's your glowplugs, check the controller is putting out power........ :frustrate

needless to say, my truck (which had already been converted to manual gps) now has a nice constant duty rated solenoid (spare for one of my plow trucks) instead of a regular gp controller, along with a brand new set of berus that apparently weren't needed...

so where do you get the constant duty controller??

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Napa Echlin ST85

go figure, punched in ST85 on napaonline and it shows it as 3 listings, 2 as a starter solenoid, one as a gp rely :dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would carry a spare, we have had those st85 last as little as 2 hours. guess where they are now made.
We have switched to cole hersee and have had zero issues.
24059 for low amp
24059-08 for higher amps