Ground Cable - Block connection

Farm Truck Bob

Reaction score
Good Morning All, Need confirmation and/or guidance. I replaced the radiator and the associated transmission lines. To get to where the flex hose connected to the hard lines coming from the transmission, I pulled the nut on the bracket in the picture without realizing I was backing out the larger nut/stud? that secures the ground cable to the engine block (see pic). It seems I must have backed the stud out turning the outside nut to get the bracket free to access the transmission lines. I think the outer nut turned the stud until the cable nut tightened against the bracket then the outer nut loosened and came off. When I put the outer nut back on, it just tightened up without re-seating the stud. My question is should I remove the outer-nut again, tighten the cable nut back down then reassemble and tighten the outer bracken nut or is there a way to re-seat the stud and then tighten the cable nut. I'm not familiar with this assembly and first inclination is to just tighten the cable nut down and go on but it doesn't feel right. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This isn't actually a stud. It's a studded bolt. the ground cable is attached to the block by this bolt. There is a short stud on it that the bracket and nut attach to. You should most definitely remove the nut and bracket. Then tighten the bolt down properly.

Farm Truck Bob

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! The Studded-bolt make much better sense now that you've explained it. Sounds like I'll get started on it early Saturday. I've got to pull everything back out anyway, was hooking up the last hose when I realized I made a rookie mistake and forgot to put the fan cowling back in first. I know better just was happy to be getting it back together ;-)

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
When I had my E350, I moved and rewired the batteries; moving the ground to one of the starter mounting bolts. For all the starting difficulties that rig was causing me, I wanted to keep the path short.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle