Got my ZF5!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
So, I went up and got the ZF5 transmission and transfer case on saturday. Bought the stuff from a guy named Jon, real nice guy and seemed to know alot about alot of things!

Anyway, I am rounding up the rest of what I need, but I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on whether or not I should have this thing checked out by a shop before using it...

Everything feels pretty decent, I rotated the input shaft and ran it through the gears and it all seems OK. I don't know enough about these things to tear it apart myself at the moment.

Otherwise, I hope to start this project as soon as I get my clutch and my pedals...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way these transmissions are put together, taking it apart yourself might not be the best idea unless you're certain of how it goes back together. I don't know enough about the internals to make an authoritative statement, but I don't think it would hurt to have it inspected to see if everything's okay....and, if there is something wrong that you missed, it would save you having to pull it out a second time.

One quick thing you can do is pull one of the PTO covers and see what the inside smells like. If it smells like gear oil, it means the previous owner either didn't know the proper fluid to run in it (and there may therefore be internal wear due to using an oil that's too heavy and not getting to the top of the tranny), or it was worn out so much that the only way to kepe it quiet was to run it on gear oil. As I'm sure you know already ;) the ZF is supposed to use ATF.

Just some thoughts....good luck! And congrats on getting it in your hands!! ;Sweet

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway of findind out how many miles are on it? Like, The warden said, these trannies dont come apart like a normal top shifter four speed does, The case actually splits in half. Wiggle the input shaft nd see how much play it has.... And figure out what you are going to do about the flywheel. If it is a DMF and it will rotate at all, I would replace it or lucky mod it.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't mind me asking, what did it run here in cali? i have been kinda passively looking to put a 4wd trannie in mine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One quick thing you can do is pull one of the PTO covers and see what the inside smells like. If it smells like gear oil, it means the previous owner either didn't know the proper fluid to run in it (and there may therefore be internal wear due to using an oil that's too heavy and not getting to the top of the tranny), or it was worn out so much that the only way to kepe it quiet was to run it on gear oil. As I'm sure you know already ;) the ZF is supposed to use ATF.

Just some thoughts....good luck! And congrats on getting it in your hands!! ;Sweet
gee......how did you figure out that?:eek:
at least you went into the deal knowing it was a core;p

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gee......how did you figure out that?:eek:
at least you went into the deal knowing it was a core;p
That was back when I was stupid enough to believe Seth when he said he'd have no problem rebuilding it :shocked: cookoo although in all seriousness, I'm happy it went this way....quality rebuild on a strong tranny that's already seen more abuse than it's likely to see in the future ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was back when I was stupid enough to believe Seth when he said he'd have no problem rebuilding it :shocked: cookoo although in all seriousness, I'm happy it went this way....quality rebuild on a strong tranny that's already seen more abuse than it's likely to see in the future ;Sweet
I knew Seth did the conversion, but I thought Mr. Kawano did the rebuild?
If nothing else, the trans was noisy from bearing wear, but the teeth weren't worn out to where it was popping out of gear. you might have gotten the unintentional bonus of getting a F450 trans with the deep first.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew Seth did the conversion, but I thought Mr. Kawano did the rebuild?
If nothing else, the trans was noisy from bearing wear, but the teeth weren't worn out to where it was popping out of gear. you might have gotten the unintentional bonus of getting a F450 trans with the deep first.
Mr. Kawano DID do the rebuild....and did it quite well ;Sweet Seth was originally supposed to do the rebuild, but his shop teacher decided that personal projects wouldn't be allowed in the shop even on the students' own time. However....considering the cut corners/loose crossmember bolts I found after getting the truck back home from the shop :shocked: while I'm appreciative of Seth's efforts, I'm glad Mr. Kawano was the one who did the rebuild...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I did check the input shaft and the shifter seems to move ok.

I paid $500 for the transmission,t'case,shifter, and crossmember.

I decided to go with the Luk SMF conversion, and I think I will have enough beans scrapped together in the next couple weeks to order it.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
FWIW id have th tranny checked out mainly from past bad experience, we got a six speed T56 for the Bel-Air for 300 and took it in and the guy had run it without fluid cookoo so 2K later we now have a bullet proof tranny....for now :sly god only knows what that BBC will do to it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online