Got me a new truck!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
....I still have the ole' Mack today that I grew up with and learned to drive on. I was hauling loads of logs back to our sawmill from out of state when I was 10 yrs. old. It is a rare truck these days too. There were only 433 of them made. It is a 1965 Mack B-755 with the 325hp NA V-8 and a 15 spd. tri-plex trans.

Hoss....

Hoss,

How similar is your "B" to Freightrain's "B"? I know they look similar, but that does not make them the same....

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Times two on the pyro. My 379 wrecker has pair added to it. I think you'll fall in love with the 3406. I have the same engine in my truck and will pull anything. Not sure what to say about just a nine speed. They're a good trans normally but I like my extra gears for bad situations. You want some fun try driving a truck with an 18 speed main and a 9 speed installed for more options. I've only dropped it into full reduction twice in the time I've had it and twisted the driveshaft right off the second time (brakes were frozen to the drums and weren't coming free voluntarily. Still didn't come loose just cost me more money.) First time it got used was moving a cement truck up the side of a two mile stretch of road with about a 60% grade. I put it into full reduction and let the triple screw work it's way up slope. Took a couple hours to do the climb but it made it when no one else wanted to even try that pull.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Hey Scott!

They are somewhat similar... Mine is what is known as a western Mack - It has the extended hood. That is the 700 designation. It is a full twin screw... The radiator shutters on say like a B-61 etc. run vertical with the radiator and on the heavier B-75 (6 cyl.) and mine they run horizontal. When the number designation behind the "B" is a three digit and always ends in a 5... That is the designation of a "V-8".... Say for example a B-61 (6 cyl.) is a B-615 with the V-8.... And mine - a B-75 (6 cyl.) with the 5 is a B-755 with the V-8.... It is low on the creature comforts but, it is a ball to drive.... Gotta love that twin stick 15 speed tri-plex transmission.... A friend of mine has a say B-63?????? tandem dump truck with the twin stick quadra-plex in it.... I have hauled a butt load of gravel and stone with that too.... He got it from his father in law and doesn't really know how to drive it... It is for sale now.... Really a pretty nice dump truck too.... My dad bought the B-755 when I was about 8 yrs. old and I remember to this day very fondly the trip to go get it and bring it home.... Back in about 1974?.... I have hauled alot of logs and lumber with the old dog....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Hoss!!!

I am not familiar with the transmissions.... what is a tri-plex and a quad-plex.....

Trapper,

Sorry about the derail..... love the looks of the old Macks.......
Good Buy on the Volvo..... didn't cost and arm and a leg, and can start earning its keep quickly!!!!

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
A tri-plex is a 5 speed main box with a 3 speed splitter box (15 spd.) and a quadra-plex is a 5 speed main box with a 4 speed splitter box (20 spd.)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's something magically nostalgic about old "B" macks that no other make has been able to capture.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Back in the day I hauled gravel - sometimes grossed 150,000 till someone hit a bridge abutment on the Mystic River bridge in Boston , while filling in the ocean for a logan airport runway. Dept of trans made sure we didn't dare to load tat heavy again. Oh it wasent me LOL.Had a B model ith a triplex then went toan early R model with a V8 thermodyne and a quad box (20 speeds -actually 19usable in sequence)Hot cramped,then I went to hauling freight in a white 9.000 with a 190 cummins -THEN I knew what hot was!!. Drove some Maxidynes ,v8 detroits, 50 cummins ,biggest was a 435 yamaha. Put 2.25 million in a union U model Mack w/a 238 maxidyne - good ole iron.Never got spoiled only had AC for 2 years of a 25 year stretch. Gosh I envy you guys today. One 350 cummins Big cam would run 110 cost too much in fines (55 MO days) Ahh good memories. Heck I remember going from a gas burning 190 IH to a deisel (BIG DOG THEN!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online