Gonna Find that DB4 For the Binders

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Talked to Peninsular Diesel today about the DB4 they use on their 6.5 marine engines, said it was good for 450-500hp worth of fuel. Then talked to Stanadyne about the differences between the GM and IH DB pumps, and they said that the indexing on the head unit is different, so that they can't be swapped back and forth. If it's all down to indexing, can't that be changed?
Oh, and the marine DB4 is 1600.00 new. Ouch.
I guess that there are some really big plunger sets for the DB2, but the advance curve on the DB4 is better. Stronger in the midrange.

I'll keep everyone posted as I get information.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool I'm glad somebody did it. By this I suppose there are DB4 pumps for some IH V8 out there? Or no? Kind of a bummer, I really thought the mechanical DB4 from them would be the answer to the ultimate IP issue. The 1600 is some sticker shock, I was expecting that. Can somebody educate me as to what they mean by the indexing of the pump is different so they can't be swapped? I probably don't know nearly as much about these things as it sometimes sounds like I think I do.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, RKOCK has a DB4/DB2 hybrid IP. PM him and see if he has anything to add........... like who build it and what was involved.

Heath

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Are you thinking of a DB2/4 hybrid? An IHC DB2 with a DB4 head possibly some other internals?

Not a hybrid, but a DB4 that is for a V8 and can fit an IH. Man, that rhymed.

Stanadyne then referred me over to Scheid and I asked them what could be done. Bore the unit out for bigger plungers, and that can be done in a few days, along with a set of high popoff injectors. Asked how much, 650.00 for the pump work. Not bad, but with the size plungers they were going to work with, still not enough.

A while back I called a pump shop in MS to see if there was a DB4 on any V8 IHC, and the old timer (who wasn't sure of which model) said something about a 555ci tractor motor that had one, even though I never heard of an ag motor in that size. I haven't pursued it any further.

The one thing that he did say was that the injector lines were a little too small (lines coming out of the pump, going to the injectors) and that holds back the power output. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

I am frustrated at the fact that after all this time, there hasn't been a 6.9/7.3 that hasn't broke the 300hp barrier in a street truck, at the wheels, and lived to tell about it.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, RKOCK has a DB4/DB2 hybrid IP. PM him and see if he has anything to add........... like who build it and what was involved.

Has anyone actually met him, seen his truck or otherwise validate his claims?
I hate to be the naysayer, but he has some interesting claims, and can build all sortsa neat stuff, but can't figure out how a digital camera works.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not a hybrid, but a DB4 that is for a V8 and can fit an IH. Man, that rhymed.

Stanadyne then referred me over to Scheid and I asked them what could be done. Bore the unit out for bigger plungers, and that can be done in a few days, along with a set of high popoff injectors. Asked how much, 650.00 for the pump work. Not bad, but with the size plungers they were going to work with, still not enough.

A while back I called a pump shop in MS to see if there was a DB4 on any V8 IHC, and the old timer (who wasn't sure of which model) said something about a 555ci tractor motor that had one, even though I never heard of an ag motor in that size. I haven't pursued it any further.

The one thing that he did say was that the injector lines were a little too small (lines coming out of the pump, going to the injectors) and that holds back the power output. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

I am frustrated at the fact that after all this time, there hasn't been a 6.9/7.3 that hasn't broke the 300hp barrier in a street truck, at the wheels, and lived to tell about it.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I know in the cummins world they up the size of their injector lines to flow more fuel. It also gives them a nice lope, like they have a big cam ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually met him, seen his truck or otherwise validate his claims?
I hate to be the naysayer, but he has some interesting claims, and can build all sortsa neat stuff, but can't figure out how a digital camera works.

No kidding. It makes you wonder if it's all BS.

Heath

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 555 he was referring to was an old Cummins they made for a short while I believe it was a v8 and they use to call it the triple nickel and it was quite the pos if i remember :dunno

sootman73

Reaction score
Allis Chalmers put 555 cummins v8 engines in their 440 4wd drive tractors. i learned how to drive a tractor in one of those. they still have them and use them every year. about 230hp without turbo. i can look at the pump and see what kind it is as i have never looked real close at them.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Allis Chalmers put 555 cummins v8 engines in their 440 4wd drive tractors. i learned how to drive a tractor in one of those. they still have them and use them every year. about 230hp without turbo. i can look at the pump and see what kind it is as i have never looked real close at them.

Definatly look at it. With a motor that big that pump should have some nice parts inside it ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score

Definatly look at it. With a motor that big that pump should have some nice parts inside it ;Sweet

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think it would be hard to find the materials to make your own Get the thread pitch of the nuts and get the feral size of the needed line and just order the corasponding HP tubing;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online

No members online now.