Glow plug relay

Gone Huntin'

Reaction score
I'm working on my neighbors '92 F250 7.3 IDI. As I understand it, the white wire at the relay supplies ground to activate the relay, is this correct? The glow plugs haven't been working on this truck since he bought it. I checked for voltages at the relay and got 12v where the big yellow wires are, 12v w/key on at the front small terminal w/red wires, no voltage at the terminal with the resistor, and nothing (ground or power) at the white wire. I supplied ground to the terminal with the white wire and the relay still doesn't work, however, if I ground the base of the relay it works, but won't disengage until the key is off. I'm thinking it has the wrong relay on it, or a bad relay or both. If it is a bad relay, what relay should I use to replace it? I don't want to replace the controller. One more thing, all of the pictures I've seen on here of the controller/relay have the small terminal wires reversed, the white is where the red is in the pics and vice versa. Does that matter?

mech140

mech140
Reaction score
it did on mine . go to the archives and look for articles from mel he has got the moose trucks....hope this helps

Gone Huntin'

Reaction score
I read the articles before I posted. This is what I was talking about. This is how his is wired.

Attachments

• glow plug controller.jpg
    glow plug controller.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 31

mech140

mech140
Reaction score
there should be two letters on top of the relay,one is an I is where the white wire goes and an S is where the red wire mounts. your wire placement will make a differece.

mech140

mech140
Reaction score
its the same relay if you still have problems you can always by pass the gpr controller.....

Gone Huntin'

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna do that anyway, I'm not getting a ground signal from the white wire and I should, right? I've already checked the glow plugs with a test light.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the glow plugs with an ohm meter?. I had 3 bad glow plugs which was causing hard starts in winter without plugging the truck in and causing the relay to click really fast. If you have bad glow plugs I don't know how many but I am sure a certain number over three might cause the relay to not work at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger