glasspacks or straight?

chinsmackers

Reaction score
i know what my 7.3 sounds like with straight exhaust... is it alittle quieter with glasspacks?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not by much and not for long.
as soon as the packing disintergrates, it will have a nasty sound.
kick down for a genuine heavy truck straight through muffler and the high RPM bark will be cut down. I don't know the brand but it is about 3ft long, bi-directional louvered core and two walled baffles in the can section. Have one on my f450 for about 5years now and the tone is still good. Cost? $125 for the part itself.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yep not gonna lose much.
The glass packs do get tiresome after awhile and a good muffler will do wonders for an N/A'ed 7.3 ;Sweet
I used a Dynomax pro-flo and it made the truck sound like a big block ga$$er when standing on it. :Sly

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynomax

I put a Dynomax turbo on my 93 I have a ATS turbo,
When I did the turbo I changed the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 back to the dynomax and then the stock tailpipe.
All was good locally,But I went on a 1000 mile trip with a trailer and a few hundred miles into it I stopped to get fuel an some food. After getting back on the highway I seemed to loose boost, Like 4 lbs of boost. :puke:
Couldint figure it out untill I had picked up a stock Powerstroke exhaust and put it on and now I HAVE BOOST!!!!. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I guess it was the heat ???? that must have caused some restriction in the muffler.
So my advise is to make sure you a Diesel muffler or none.
Glasspacks blow out after a period of time.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
A good friend of mine had a 7.3NA. It was pretty doggy, until he had headers and glasspacks installed. It woke up a LOT, by dropping the backpressure.

I agree with the others, that glasspacks won't last long, and dual straights are wrathy.

You might consider something like a Flowmaster, for tone. With no packing, it should last longer.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as others said--the glasspacks will get--or be--LOUD--my 6.9 outcackles--and outbarks--and gasser--but i like it--- :D :D :D the 94 turbo--with powerstroke exhaust--is Q U I E T--as in--no cop attention---!!!!!!!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a flowmaster copy from Summit Racing in my 87 NA and it sounds very good. I had true duals with glasspacks, but the pipes were small and it sounded like a small block on Helium! The cackling gets very annoying. I have a 3 inch y pipe into a single 3 inch in/out, then 90'd up to a 4 inch square crossbox with dual 3 inch stacks. I may be partial, but I think it sounds very good. Very deep, NO cackle and even with 4.10's out on the highway you can stand it. At 65 it is just a deep rumble with no interior resonance. Have had several compliments on the sound. I believe the muffler was like $30 bucks.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a flowmaster on mine and like it real well, not too loud just a nice rumble when you get on the go pedal, not enough restriction to bother performance

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look around for a Donaldson muffler. With any diesel you want to have as little back pressure as possible. And also remember that a 6.9/7.3 is going to pump enormous amounts of air when it's running so it's going to take a muffler with alot of capacity to keep back pressure down.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
my banks 3 inch exhaust is rotted out :mad: ,i'd like to stay with 3 inch.are the power stroke exhaust from say a 96 3 inch?
i'm really not sure if i want to run it all the way back or just exit it in front of the right rear tire,what do you guys think?

chinsmackers

Reaction score
i have a flowmaster series 40 3" in/out muffler siting in my garage that never made it on my van... would that flow enough? i would assume the 7.3 would need more

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
When my 6.9 was NA I put dual 3" exhaust on it with 50 series Flowmaster mufflers. It was TERRIBLE loud! I put 36" long 3" in-out round mufflers from NAPA behind them, that was just right. I have the NAPA mufflers without the Flowmasters behind my Hypermax turbo downpipe Y'ed behind the DP to the dual 3".

Jim

Just installed a Gear Vendors OD----Sweet!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget the Walker "BTM" Big Truck Muffler. Specially designed for large diesel trucks, and can be ordered at any friendly NAPA store.

Made my dearly departed PowerStroke sound like a jet engine when the warmup valve was closed!

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
my banks 3 inch exhaust is rotted out :mad: ,i'd like to stay with 3 inch.are the power stroke exhaust from say a 96 3 inch?
i'm really not sure if i want to run it all the way back or just exit it in front of the right rear tire,what do you guys think?
I have a Powerstroke exhaust off a 2004 and it is 3.5
It works great.
I had to re do the hangers.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well i went with the dynomax 3 inch pro flo muffler and used what was left of the banks tailpipe to exit in front of the right rear tire.
its louder than the banks exhaust but it sure does sound alot meaner;Sweet :love:
just to let you guys know,dynomax makes a complete exhaust kit for the 6.9 and 7.3 N/A from the manifolds to the tailpipe for about 350.00 bucks.
the muffler was about 80.00 bucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7