Gas Gauge Not Working

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Fuel Gauge Not Working

Hello everyone, my front fuel tank gauge does not work at all and when I switch to the rear tank the gauge works until I get down to 3/4 of a tank and then it stops working. Do any of you know what might be wrong?

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) your FSV is bad.

2) the coils on the sender need a good pencil eraser cleaning.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the gauge circuit.
The rear tank has the pickup screen fallen off or disintegrated (commonly know as the shower head). Available from a Ford Dealer or Ebay.

You probably have pieces of rubber from the pickup screen in the FSV (Fuel Selector Valve), it's mounted on the frame rail under the drivers seat.

Typical fuel gauge sender.

Attachments

• Shower head.JPG
    Shower head.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 23
  • fuel sender pic.jpg
    fuel sender pic.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two most common issues are worn boards on the sending units themselves and fuel getting into and sinking the floats on the sending units. The floats can be replaced, the boards can't (at least I've never seen boards for sale). Pull the senders and see if fuel is in the floats. Move the arm up and down and have someone watch the gauge in the cab. If the gauge moves as it should, your boards are fine. If not, look for senders.

The FSV can be an issue too, but you usually get other symptoms (like tanks not switching appropriately).

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We dont have gas tanks or guages....notice...diesel fuel only....it is a fuel tank a d fuel guage....also throttle pedal not gas pedal :rotflmao

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Good question so I recently got my truck and most of the electrical components do not work for example: wipers (got a new switch), windows (switching to cranks), fuel gunge (diagnosing), dome light (have to rewire), and horn (have to rewire). Luckily it is a really mechanically sound truck I just drove 400 miles in it yesterday without a single problem. The wiring got all messed up because the kid who owned it before me cut all the wires to install a newer radio with sub.

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Hesutton said "The FSV can be an issue too, but you usually get other symptoms (like tanks not switching appropriately)." My tanks have not had any problems switching, could it still be the FSV? I don't want to by things I do not need.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Okay thanks! I would have spent the money if I knew it was the piece I needed and there was also nothing cheaper available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726