fuel pressure ?s

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my '92 3/4ton has been acting up lately. runs rough at idle, low power and lots of white smoke. I suspected low fuel pressure and hooked up a test gauge before the fuel filter, it read no more than 5 psi. what should the pressure be?
p.s.
new filter, mechanical pump

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timing is set at 9 degrees advanced, and I did install reman injectors about 1500 miles ago, that was my next suspect. I am running about 30% wmo so the smoke ma be a little worse than it should be.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
timing is set at 9 degrees advanced, and I did install reman injectors about 1500 miles ago, that was my next suspect. I am running about 30% wmo so the smoke ma be a little worse than it should be.

Did you set the timing after the injectors or before? If after, then there's the problem. If before, then we're still at square one. White smoke is usually a timing issue (unless you just lost a head gasket) and WMO at that ratio shouldn't cause noticable smoke.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timing was set when i put the injectors in. it ran good for a while, then started all this. I almost positive that the problem is with the fuel system. The smoke is a heavy white fuel smoke.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also...
after I changed the fuel filter, it ran like it's supposed to for about 20 minutes of driving around the pasture, then went back to clanging and clattering and blowing smoke.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you got a bad batch of fuel. Cut open your old filter and see what it looks like.

Last edited:

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around the fooling with this thing again. I had an old pump laying around that i knew was working when i pulled it off. I put it on and that truck ran great. No smoke, started good and idled smooth. At first, the only problem i had was that I couldn't get the timing any better than about 6*. I put it all to gether an took off down the road, I made it about 15 miles and it fell on it's face. I pulled over and befor I could get it stopped good it died and that was it. I called someone to bring me my big trailer and pick me up. It took about an hour for him to get there. By the time he showed up, the truck started on its own and ran fine again, I didn't take any chances and loaded it up anyways. My next step is buying a new pump i suppose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7