Testing fuel pressure

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on testing my fuel pressure at the filter head. Temp test not permanent..so from what I’ve read, I take the core out of the valve and then slide a hose onto it with clamp..then hose to mechanical fuel gauge. Low pressure right? Like 6-10psi running?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's one way to do it. I used a tire filler and attached a low Psi gauge to it, so I could just press it on momentarily to get the reading, that way you don't have to lose the Schrader valve, worry about repriming, ect...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My RV ran badly at 5-7psi with Holley Red. With the pedal to the floor, it wouldn't go over 55-60. I lowered the pressure with a regulator to roughly 3-5 and now it's fine again. No idea why. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My RV ran badly at 5-7psi with Holley Red. With the pedal to the floor, it wouldn't go over 55-60. I lowered the pressure with a regulator to roughly 3-5 and now it's fine again. No idea why. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I know higher fuel pressure going into the IP can affect engine timing. If your Holley red was putting out more pressure than the stock lift pump, it was probably advancing your timing too far. The regulator adjustment was a smart move.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Isn't stock pressure 5-7psi? If it's running badly at that pressure could it possibly be a bad case pressure regulator on the IP?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Isn't stock pressure 5-7psi? If it's running badly at that pressure could it possibly be a bad case pressure regulator on the IP?

Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph): 30
Maximum Pressure Range (psi): 5.75
Minimum Free Flow Rate (gph): 30
Minimum Pressure Range (psi): 4.5

Source:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Another source says:

Fuel Pressure (Filter Inlet) 14 kPa (2 psi) @ idle
Fuel Pressure (Filter Outlet) 7 kPa (1 psi) @ 3000 rpm

Edit: actually same source/person, just on another forum.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use a tire pressure gauge (which is fine) to check your fuel pressure, be sure to wrap it in a shop rag so you don’t get a diesel shower.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
No not one of those push gauges... I'll snap a picture of what I use when I get home.... Give me an hour or so.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I deleted my fuel heater I plugged a hole with a 1/2npt pipe plug. I’ve thought about installing a small fuel pressure gauge where that plug is, or maybe a sender so I can have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Here's what I use.
You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
Cubey alluded to a possible point of confusion in his post above. The pressure coming out of the lift pump and into the fuel filter is higher than the pressure coming out of the fuel filter and into the IP. Where you put your gauge depends which of those you want to measure.