Fuel Delivery Problem

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Just had the old truck towed home for the second time in less than 48 hours. Heres the scoop,

Truck sat for 6 months while I was overseas working, come home, make a 6 hour round trip with no problems, the next morning get up to take the dogs to the vet, truck fires off and runs fine for about 10 miles, starts acting like its running out of fuel, get it to a parking lot and check, no fuel to the IP and the filter is dry but full of junk. change with a new one, runs great. Yesterday afternoon while taking the dogs out for a good run, truck runs great getting out there but stumbles and stalls out 25miles from the house, can not get it started so have it towed home. Find that the selector valve was cracked and pulling air so removed it completely and just run off the front tank for now. well today got about 12 miles from the house and boom, no fuel, I am loosing my mind with this, as i only have about a week before i have to have the truck so i can get to the airport.

List of what has been done so far:

carter 4070 electric fuel pump (manual delete)
new filter
both tanks full of fuel
selector valve removed completely
shower head mod done

anyone have ideas on where to head from here, I have a new pump on order in case this one is no good, new rubber lines and a new filter. I am planning on dropping the tanks when the weather breaks and making sure that there is nothing that got into the tanks while it was sitting.

sorry for the choppy and crappy breakdown on whats going on

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sending unit hard lines and fuel lines can rust out with pinholes. Turn your pump on and listen around under the truck for any air hissing being drawn in, if you have a return from your filter head still you'll hear the air being pumped back into the fuel tanks from the lines below the fuel level.

Did you put new fuel olives on the hardliners going to the injeciton pump?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to take your new fuel pump and connect it to a 5 gal diesel can and run directly to the filter, see if it runs and start there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online