Ford ****** me off!!

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
You may recall that my truck was stolen recently. Trans is slipping & it turns out the TC is fried.
I asked you guys if there is a better unit than stock & found out about about BTS and another if Fla. 6 times the clutch area!
The trans is about a year old (Ford re-man) and cost $3200. 3 year, 75,000 mile warranty.
Ford says if I put in an aftermarket TC, THE WARRANTY IS VOID!!!!!

Sucks.

Chuck

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Well...make the tranny blow a few more times under warranty and get your money back. Then, take it to someone who will build your trans and warranty it (specialty shop) and have them stick the unit in. If they are a reputable shop, they may already have knowledge of said converter and actually recomend it to keep the life of the tranny. BTW, did you get the trailer and tractor back too?

Chris

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it sucks that you can't put best of everything components into your rig and keep the blanket warranty, however, if it was me, I would make Ford give me a new "replacement" converter, put it on the shelf, put in the "better" version, and deal with any warranty problems with both trans and converter manufacturers separately. I know you're paying for the time/mileage warranty, but buying the best parts should make stuff last longer and hopefully avoid any warranty issues. If you can't explain that to both manufacturers if/when you have any issues, kindly explain that you are going to spend monies with folks who really mean what they say when it comes to customer service.

Just my .02 worth, good luck no matter how you make out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been "watching this" for some time and my thoughts are way differant from Ford (as usuall). I feel that if as Ford states the torque converter is fried.... Then where did all the friction material and possible metal go??? It gets pumped thru the cooler and reinters the trans in the back port.. That port feeds some bushings and bearings.... So, how long will things last now that crap has massaged the rear of the trans.. Sure... The filter that picks up fluid from the pan will knock out plenty but... As most have found out when a converter craps out on you the rest of the trans is not far behind it... I'm also wondering why nobody has suggested this or even Ford hasn't told you anything yet. Ask and good trans shop about this... I think they are trying to hose you about the better converter and if you install it they are not going to cover the eminent trans failure down the road... BTW a BTS is not much more than the Ford reman. trans. You wont break one of there trans that for sure. They have some handling around 1300 ft lbs of torque in pulling applications on psd and dogs.....

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if the ford reman trans was done at a dealer and done properly then it will have a external trans filter installed on the cooler line, so it should filter bad fluid before it returns to trans that filter is sent in the black box with trans. warranty can and should be voided without filter installed but ive seem some slide by. i assume the trans was installled at a dealer for that price. i agree with you to be able to put the best of the best on it. but.... in perspective go buy reman engine put a bigger/better pump/injectors on it then see what they might say if you take it back with melted pistons, whos to say what did it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think a better torque converter can only decrease the heat usually generated here and make the trans last longer. The triple disc converters have more friction material than stock.. They produce less heat... How could Ford make the statement of "use it and no warranty"... In this case I think they are shooting themselves in the foot and bigger is better in this application for all the above reasons.. I know Ford warranty very well. I know my friend has an 6.0 2005 dually crewcab 4x4. She has never had it in 4 wheel drive but... It has burned down the motor finally. It has been in the shop many many times. Now she is out of a truck and Ford Motor Company laywers want to "settle out of court".... Gees, I wonder why....:dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I've told this story before, but...my uncled bought a brand new F250 in 2004. It had 11 miles on it when he picked it up. Within 1000 miles or so, it started shifting funny, etc. We got under it and there was a reman tag on the transmission! At any rate, he had it back for extended periods of time four times before putting 2000 miles on it, they offered him rebates, etc. on it, but he finally threatened a lemon-law suit (which we have here in Ohio) and they refunded the full price. The fluid in his transmission had particulate in it. I had no idea what the reman trans tag was for or anything else. I actually wondered if the dealer pulled his transmission for warranty work and replaced with reman. or what happened, but non the less, the metal particulate made it back to his tranny. Who knows what happened, and I don't remember if it had an inlined filter, but I don't think it did.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Well...make the tranny blow a few more times under warranty and get your money back. Then, take it to someone who will build your trans and warranty it (specialty shop) and have them stick the unit in. If they are a reputable shop, they may already have knowledge of said converter and actually recomend it to keep the life of the tranny. BTW, did you get the trailer and tractor back too?

Chris

Yes, I got it all back.

Thanks,
Chuck

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC BTS is a certified ford repair place, so i would call them and tell them whats going on. see if somehow they can get around that issue of voiding the warranty..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance