Fog Lights

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive got a set of fog lights installed on my PSD, not sure of the make or model, see my pics in my sig for a front shot of the PSD. They are wired through the key switch, in other words, if I leave the fog light switch on, and shut the truck off the fog lights go off. Heres my question, and those of you with the OBS PSD's know how vague our idiot gauges are, when my fog lights are on it will pull the needle down to the "O" on the ammeter, with lights off the needle goes back up between the "R" and "M". So those of you with fog lights, does yours pull down this much? It just seems like an excessive amp draw for two lights.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
My new set of PIAAs are connected to the positive battery terminal. The power to the switch is connected to the positive wire of my parking lights. Sooo, my parking lights must be on for the switch to turn them on and there is absolutely no drain on the ammeter. All grounds are to the chassis.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm,

Good info hheynow, I wonder why mine are pulling so hard?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
Hmmm,

Good info hheynow, I wonder why mine are pulling so hard?
Does your setup have a relay? How are yours hooked up? Did you ever re-aim them like I suggested?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know if they are on a relay or not. I havent delved into it that far yet, I just noticed the ammeter needle lower than I thought it should be on the way to work last night so I started flipping switches until I found one (fog lights) that took the draw off the system. Yeah, I have re-aimed but now I'm running with the lights off so I'm not getting brighted nearly as frequently as I used to LMAO.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the non-scientific ways to see if you have a relay is to see how hot the swith gets... Its not always coret, but without a relay, most switches will heat up.... If it is pulling power from your ignition, I would think it has a relay....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My switch is a lighted switch and it gets hot.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest a change to a relay. IH uses relays extensively on their truck chassis. My Ih has a relay for "fog lights". BTW IH parts sells good quality relays for $9.99. I found that to be a pretty good price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online