first gen powerstroke mods

t444ebandit

myth buster
Reaction score
I recently purchased my second powerstroke first was a 04 regular cab 4x4 auto with edge chip 4" exhaust and cold air kit. Fast truck but terrible mileage. That said I was hoping for some input on whether changing from 4.10 on my new 97 powerstroke 5spd to 3.55s would be woth it and would also like input on moddifying early 7.3 powerstroke engines. Mine has 88k on it. i use the truck as a daily driver and will use it to pull my 40' fith wheel trailer mustang in tow.:confused:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use the 97 to tow a 40" 5'ver I would think long and hard before I changed out for taller gears. I'd add horsepower before I regeared.

I've got 4:10's in my 95 and if I drive it sensibly I can get 18+mpg with it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MODS?did i hear MODS?!!!read my signature,ive got 4.10s and get 16.5MPG no matter how hard or easy i drive it.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I didn't have a Powerstroke but I did have 3.54's in my 88. I was never really satisfied with them when I would drag a skid steer or my bronco on a 16 foot landscape trailer. I had pretty good power upgrades but always wished for more gear. Stay with the 4.10 for pulling.

t444ebandit

myth buster
Reaction score
thank you all for the warm welcome. I have recently checked my mileage and also got about 18-17.8 to be exact. Not bad so i have decided to keep the gears. I have a question about what type of inexpesive mods exist. I know on mechanical injected units it is easy to iimprove fuel delivery and I was wondering if any mods of these types of mods exist for early 7.3 powerstrokes.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the gears, Keep the gears, Keep the gears....I got 3.55 and I hate them.... But im also running 35" tires....i got 4.10 to put in but im just waiting on a locker cause I wanna put them in together

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Cheep mods?:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
Seriously Improved air intake/ exhaust. Also do a search on the 10K mod. Programmers, chips and/or injectors are available but not really considered "cheep mods". I also agree, keep the 4:10's I don't care for my 3:55's. BTW Welcome to oilburners.

t444ebandit

myth buster
Reaction score
just got 2k for mods lets go! I M jacked intercooler from 6.0 ported turbo housing 140hp chip 4" exhaust&down pipe pyro gauge fuel pressure gauge and boost gauge what other mods to prevent damage would you guys consider. I have a good diesel mechanic helping me but any further advice would kick ass.

Aaron SEIA

Reaction score
The chip won't do much good without injectors. Think stocks are only good for 40 more ponies. Tymar intake, BDP injectors, and a clutch.
Aaron SEIA

t444ebandit

myth buster
Reaction score
I forget to add the K&n air filter system and, stage 1 injectors from beandiesel performance to the list my bad. Don't mean to sound stupid but will any other fuel related mods be required? The turbo housing I,m getting is 1.00 on the turbine side istead of the stock 1.15 I was told and understand that this will cause the turbo to spool more quickly but will it add more peak boost??? Also what type of power should this make? Are there any type of cheap intercoolers to consieder for thei build y or y not

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldnt have to mod the fuel system to run a set of Stg I's. Dont know that I would do the 1.0AR if you are going to modded injectors. I am running the stock turbo, I dont complain about turbo lag and I can tip 37psi with it and maintain good EGT's which takes you into your next Q? about an intercooler...... prolly not needed with Stg I's, intake/exhaust.

Power? Dunno, gotta dyno it to be sure. I havent had mine on a dyno yet since all the upgrades. WAG = 325/600. I can run with 6.0's towing all day.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I forget to add the K&n air filter system and, stage 1 injectors from beandiesel performance to the list my bad. Don't mean to sound stupid but will any other fuel related mods be required? The turbo housing I,m getting is 1.00 on the turbine side istead of the stock 1.15 I was told and understand that this will cause the turbo to spool more quickly but will it add more peak boost??? Also what type of power should this make? Are there any type of cheap intercoolers to consieder for thei build y or y not

Stay with the stock turbine hsg for towing....stack temps will like you:D

IMVHO ...dump the K+N filter ....and go with a home made intake....about $75....12" long 45deg 4" exh pipe, 3 4" constant torque clamps and a Donaldson/Fleetrite air filter {dam CRS...forget the #} or get a Tymar;Sweet

Then a good pyro/boost gauge set before any inj mods :D

OH yea...Welcome to OB :cheers:

t444ebandit

myth buster
Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys but would still like to install 3.73 or 3.55 rearend and would gladly give up my 4.10s for a set. 2700rpm at 75 is just rididculuss.cookoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online