Fathers day fun, what did you accomplish

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished putting a 2000 lb winch in the toolbox today and mounted the fairlead I fabricated. Took me 2 days :rotflmao but hey I'm in no hurry. Get to test it tomorrow on an 800 mile trip to pick up my latest kill.

No it won't pull my truck out, I did this because I'm disabled and need it to help me load up DOA John Deere garden tractors that I buy to part out on eBay into the bed or onto the 16'x6' utility trailer I'm building (that I have to finish by July 17th).

I can't wrench on big stuff much anymore but I can still play with the little tractors and when I can't do that I'll play with toy tractors:D .

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! I have one of those HF winches for my trailer...a lawn tractor is about all they're good for! I've pulled a dead Chevelle onto my trailer, and that poor winch didn't like it at all.

Did you fab the fairlead, or buy it?

Ryan

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fabricated the fairlead out of four 4" pieces of 1-1/4" x 1/8" angle, two 5"x3/8 bolts a piece of 3/8" pipe and 2 clevises I had and sprayed it with some rustoleum safety red I had laying around.

I built the fairlead mostly to strengthen the opening in the toolbox. I only need 2 rollers because the tractors are always a straight pull.

I definatly need to put a bigger hook on the cable just to match the chain and clevises I use and figure if the winch motor has a tough time pulling up the ramps with some of the heavier 400 series tractors that weigh 1500 - 1800 lbs I'll just get a block for it to double the pulling power so the motor doesn't strain so much.

If this cheap HF winch can last me for only the 3 tractors I've already purchased (a 317, a 318 and a 420 model) and am picking up over the next 30 days it will give my little business the boost it needs and I'll be all set and able to afford a good winch if needed.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yo Doc, Nice work. I could have used that today. Went and picked up an Ariens RM830. In really nice shape, blown motor. $50.00
Im needin a Tecumseh TVM 195 shortblock. Any luck?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Slick idea for a common problem. Did you have to reinforce the tool box any? How is the box mounted to the truck? Just on the bed rails? I needed to pull an car onto a trailer once and didn't have a winch. So I bolted a boat trailer winch to the 5th wheel hitch. It wasn't pretty but worked like a charm.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool man. I could use a much bigger version of that when you get a second.

You'll need a much stronger toolbox than that thin aluminum one I have.

Yo Doc, Nice work. I could have used that today. Went and picked up an Ariens RM830. In really nice shape, blown motor. $50.00
Im needin a Tecumseh TVM 195 shortblock. Any luck?

$50 ... Geez, wish I could buy a Deere for that, I paid $615 for the 420 without an engine that I'm picking up tomorrow and $695 for the 317 and 318 models I'm picking up in July when I visit my folks.....The 420 still worth about $2000+ in parts to and the 317 & 318 are worth about another $3500+. I've even paid up to $2500 and another $500 to ship them here on certain tractors I part out.

No Tecumseh stuff here, sorry, Mostly Onan or Yanmar diesels and an occasional Kohler but the parts are always gone within a week.

Slick idea for a common problem. Did you have to reinforce the tool box any? How is the box mounted to the truck? Just on the bed rails? I needed to pull an car onto a trailer once and didn't have a winch. So I bolted a boat trailer winch to the 5th wheel hitch. It wasn't pretty but worked like a charm.

I used to have a boat winch on my old race car trailer 20 years ago, worked great, nylon line and all.

I have some 3/16" flatbar under the toolbox where the winch is mounted. The fairlead has Large fender washers behind it and the box is bolted straight to the bed rails (was like that when I bought the truck).

Mounting a winch on a 5ver sounds like a good idea. Hmmmmmm...Weld a pin to the bottom of the winch with a couple braces to keep it from turning and use a wiring with jumper cable ends would make a quick mount emergency winch....You better run to the patent office before I do. Opps I forgot I can't run.:frustrate

I'll post again on tuesday when I get back from Pennsylvania and let you know how it performed or ummmmm what broke picking up this 1300 lb tractor with a 300 lb deck.:eek:

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking fab work there bud.

I've just bought m'self a mid 70's Ford LGT 145. It's got a gas engine, but it does have full hydraulics and a small front end loader on it. I made up a set of ramps and can drive it right up into the back of my truck, but it's a bit scary backing the thing outa there. I think I'll find a trailer for it. I plan to build a backhoe unit to fit on the back of it. That'll come in pretty handy.

Sure fun to play with.

(Whoever has the most toys wins!!)

Zigg :)

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reklund said:
Looks good! I have one of those HF winches for my trailer...a lawn tractor is about all they're good for! I've pulled a dead Chevelle onto my trailer, and that poor winch didn't like it at all.

Did you fab the fairlead, or buy it?

Ryan

I think you can get 2:1 pulling power out of any winch by running it through a pulley on the load you're pulling, and hooking the end of the winch cable back close to the winch. Maybe that would keep your winch from mo0aning so much.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent the day doing the running light relay mod on the Lady Moose and began the process of installing a 2m Ham radio in her. Matthias painted the tool box and installed the antenna on it. I power washed the Moose Stang and the Mini Moose with my wedding anniversary present I got last month. ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel where are you putting your 2 m rig, I need to install mine and am thinking roof bracket??

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Took 3 days, but just finnished R&R of the service bed, shortend the lumber rack and installed a transfer fuel tank. The bed was held on by four 1/8 inch 2x angle welded and three were broke. I ended up making brakets and bolting the bed back on. The lumber rack was for a pickup bed so it was way to high to use so I took seven inches out of her and I found a used transfer tank this week end and stuck her in too. Fun week end. Went by an auction on the way to pick up a tank. Erickson Sky Crane Company sold off surplus. Had 3 F250 4x with PSD and a couple 94 with IDI Turbos. No minimums and about 20 people. Bet those trucks went for dirt. Building a house right now so had to kick myself out of there. :mad: -cuss

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent much of the day behind the wheel of an Isuzu NPR, and the rest of the day either loading or off-loading it. My mom no longer lives here...and, in a few weeks, neither will I (although I still need to find a place)...

I am SORE!!

We finished the move so late last night that I didn't have a chance to call my dad :( I will call him today...

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
Towcat and i had a good old time workin on my truck and getting to know eachother. not a father yet, but happy fathers day to all you days out there! Warden, if you need to park anything vehicle, trailer, etc.....for a while if you are between places, my ranch is at ur disposal

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
typ4 said:
Mel where are you putting your 2 m rig, I need to install mine and am thinking roof bracket??

Lady already has a ceiling full, and Suzi has the seat all the way forward so the viewing angle would be pretty bad. I'm afraid it's going to have to go right on the dash above the factory radio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance