Exhaust Brake

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this while trying to find out some info on the exhause backpressure sensor. Thought y'all might find it of interest. . .

"Do you make a product for the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke or Navistar International T444E engines?

ANSWER:

No, Jacobs does not offer an exhaust or engine brake for these engines in fact, Navistar and Ford have requested that we do not develop one for these engines.

The primary concern with putting a retarder on these engines is their use of hydraulic lifters. Most engines with hydraulic lifters have fairly low exhaust back pressure limits so the performance of an exhaust brake would not be substantial. More importantly the use of an exhaust brake on an engine with hydraulic lifters can cause engine damage. The problem is that the increased back pressure resulting from the operation of the exhaust brake will cause some degree of valve float. This valve float can cause the hydraulic lifter to re-set with the valve still open (not seated). This phenomenon is known as lifter jacking. Lifter jacking could also result if a traditional engine brake were used on these engines. The results of lifter jacking can be anything from low positive power (because the valves stay open) to engine damage caused by valve to piston contact. "

http://www.jakebrake.com/content.php4?doc_uid=17#FAQ4

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few other companies making engine brakes for the 7.3 PSD. I guess I havent done any research to see if folks have grenaded engines using them but I think it would have come to the front if they were?

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I figured. I saw the article and it threw up a few red flags about the engine brakes on a motor that wasn't designed for them. I would love to hear from some people that have them, and what their miles are and if they've been troublefree. Considering the weight that I tow on a regular basis, the extra braking would be nice, but not at the expense of my engine. -Flame Thr

wftree

Reaction score
I got a banks brake exhaust brake is a little different from a "Jake" brake. I have thousands of miles and I use it ALL THE TIME. My truck weighs 11,400 em,pty and the trailer weighs 14,000 full. I have never had a problem and I do love having it.

I do think $1200 is excessive for what you get, I got mine for half price due to a banks screw up on my order. That said I would not like to tow without one.

WFTREE

BJS

Reaction score
www.gtsmotorsports.com has a kit to use the factory EBPV for a brake. There have been quite a few guys over @ TDS that were quite pleased with the braking that is provided and haven't heard of anyone ruining an engine due to the use of it.

It's something that you can wire up yourself there is a diagram of one variant @ swamps website

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
I ran a BD brake in my 2000 for about 60K before I traded it in and was completely satisfied. I think the EBV idea is lame; I don't think that it has the ability to make enough pressure to be completely effective (so it probably can't overpressurize), the valves sometimes stick and the actuators sometimes leak oil.

BD now offers 2 styles; the original is vacuum operated with a compound piston inside the actuator. When you activate the brake vacuum moves the piston to the engaged position and closes a butterfly in the turbo outlet. The backpressure pushes on the butterfly and if necessary it can be pushed open slightly against a spring inside the vacuum piston. By doing that the excess pressure can be bled off at high RPM while keeping as much pressure as possible at lower RPM. The biggest drawback (that I know of) is that at high altitude there is not enough pressure difference on the switch that controls the vacuum pump and it can run excessivly even when the brake is not being used. Mine would run constantly when I was above 7000 feet.

The newer system is pressure operated and uses the natural ability of air to compress as the regulator. Again the backpressure pushes on the butterfly which pushes back against the air in the actuator. The air pressure in the actuator is set with a regulator so that the amount of spring can be adjusted. Pretty clever system; again when the RPM is high the butterfly can be pushed open slightly but at lower RPM it can seal more.

The Banks Brake and Pac Brake (and Jacobs on the Cummins) use a hole in the butterfly valve that makes sure that when at max RPM the pressure won't exceed safe limits. That system works OK at high RPM but then at lower RPM there is not as much pressure built up (because so much is lost out the hole) as on the BD system. I personally like the BD systems since I am usually driving at the lower RPM range but I the others have their advantages. On the trucks I have driven the Banks seems to intigrate into the truck better and function more like it was there originally. I personally prefer having none of the automatic functions and wired my brake directly to a shifter mounted switch. I don't know if I believe the part about improving the exhaust flow by placing the butterfly farther from the turbo but it is a good thoery. The Pac Brake is usually less expensive compared to the others and works pretty well.

Sorry for blabbering on and on, I thought I would "Post Quick Reply" ;-)

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
They are for sticks only right?

Adrianspeeder
If you use a TC lock up switch they will work on autos also.

Big Red CC Dually

Reaction score
A guy with the username Paul Hester on TDS uses a WD exhaust brake with an E4OD in a 96 dually, you might PM him for info.

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I just happened across the jacob's web site, and I noticed their comments on why they don't offer a "jake" brake for the 7.3 psd. I wasn't referring to the ebv, as much as I was to the banks brake. I wasn't really looking for as much info, as I mainly found their explanation interesting and thought y'all might enjoy the info. :D

NVCowboy

Reaction score
With auto trannys make sure you have guages. I remember an article in Trailer Life that was touting the Banks Exhaust Brake. Been too long since I read the article, but seems I remember something in the most expensive exhaust brake that had a speed setting and took care of the tranny a little better. Before the flame throwers come out, I am well aware that TL reads like Gale Banks is a contributing editor.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I wired up my EBPV to use it and for $3 it works quite well I also wired it up so it only works when I switch it on instead of on or computer controlled so it probally cycles less then if I never messed with it

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIY

You can build the bake circuit yourself for a couple bucks and the converter lockup for a couple more. The converter lock instructions can be found on forgotton.net Might as well do your idm while yer at it! :draw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.