Essential IDI spares for remote areas and extended journeys?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a truck that is so reliable you guys sure cary EVERTYHING:dunno
So it seems indeed... Then again I do carry enough tools to pretty much rebuild my truck on the side of the road... AutoZone delivers parts, lol

A medkit! Thanks, gotta get that. Well I got duct tape. :dunno
That's a must-have man - where I work should something happen most would be screwed, I just run/walk/crawl to my truck and fix myself up ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AutoZone delivers parts, lol

Hey, I'm an Azone preferred customer. :rotflmao:D

Past two years I've got 17 $20 credits.

By towtruckdave:
A medkit! Thanks, gotta get that. Well I got duct tape.

U can't believe how much better Gorilla Tape is.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fire extinguisher, first aid, axe, knifes, food, water, lights, lighter, etc... camp stove, 3 bottles of propane or so, folding chairs, power inverter 1800W, gps

oil filter, fuel filter, return line/clamps, wire, tool bag, spare, jack, fix flat, several glues, ether (manual glow plugs dont worry), enough oil for an oil change, coolant, other junk im sure.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Umm.... Why don't You just tow a spare TRUCK with You?? That way, if something breaks on the primary. You can just jump into the spare and go.

Seriously it seems there are a LOT of half empty types here.

I carry a few tools, a spare tire, and serp belt.

I try to keep My trucks maintained, so that I don't have to worry about all that other stuff. I travel some of the most remote forestry roads in N. Mn.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Many of the things listed here I carry always in my van. I have some partitions and boxes for my tools and stuff that I built in the walls, I left 50" clear at the center for hauling lumber, plywood or produce. Every time we go out to town, or to work at some place, we have to travel back roads with almost no traffic. I've had to fix something many times by the side of the road and then keep going. It's not good for me to be carrying things in and out of the van, so I always keep them there. In my cabinet business I have many machines and tools, and many are also in my van's boxes (same but smaller versions: like small table saw with its folded legs, small compressor, etc). The van's set of tools are marked so they won't be at my shop by mistake. All the mechanics tools are kept in the van in its boxes. When somebody calls for help I don't need to go to my shop and then think what I should take with me, sometimes I don't know what's the problem I may find. I just have to jump in the van and go.

Oh, and add chains and ropes to the list! I always have both with me to pull people's cars or trucks out of sand pits, mud or whatever. Sometimes they pull me out (very few times, most of the times I'm the knight in shinning armor to the rescue).

Thanks,

Burt.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Umm.... Why don't You just tow a spare TRUCK with You?? That way, if something breaks on the primary. You can just jump into the spare and go.

Seriously it seems there are a LOT of half empty types here.

I carry a few tools, a spare tire, and serp belt.

I try to keep My trucks maintained, so that I don't have to worry about all that other stuff. I travel some of the most remote forestry roads in N. Mn.

And don't forget to put all these stuff in your spare truck's tool box!:rotflmao

Burt

Butcherman

Reaction score
A pop up camper, so you have a place to stay as you overhaul the truck on the side of the road.:rotflmao

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say....anytime I am doing a long distance run I always grab my laptop and the cable to use my cell phone as a modem....more than once I have done side of the road repairs with just tools, wire, duct tape, and access to OB.

and for the list..spare u-joints (but again, wired up properly you can limp it along with wire and duct tape.....dont as how I know)

magking1971

Reaction score
Extra lug studs, lug nuts, big hammer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tow truck bills suck.
Dont forget spindle nut socket.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I was gonna say....anytime I am doing a long distance run I always grab my laptop and the cable to use my cell phone as a modem....more than once I have done side of the road repairs with just tools, wire, duct tape, and access to OB.

and for the list..spare u-joints (but again, wired up properly you can limp it along with wire and duct tape.....dont as how I know)

Sounds like a fun ride home! :eek:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
tire, breaker bar, jack, piece of ply wood...usually electical stuff (fuses, bulbs, relay or two), basic tools, extra fuel filter, some diesel keel, small lenght of fuel hose, some plastic caps for the injectors, gallon of washer fluid, anti-freeze, 2 qts of oil, qt of ATF, some gear oil, rags...thats about it.

i dont go far and if my truck does break down ol lady has triple A so screw it ill have it towed to my house ha.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
uh lets see I can think of four. 1 get a sleeping bag 2 make sure you have your gf or wife and 3 make sure u breakdown at a lake. and 4 bring fishing poles and bait lol Ive done it

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Extra lug studs, lug nuts, big hammer.

Tow truck bills suck.
Dont forget spindle nut socket.

Didn't trust the remaining studs to hold the tire on to drive yet trusted them to keep the truck on the tow truck. Makes perfect sense to me. LOL

I keep pretty much everything with me when I wheel. Once the 40' 5th wheel is done it'll be a storage house for all the spares so I can finally move them out of the totes and off the wheeler and tow rig so I can gain back a bunch of free HP with less weight on them.. :D

Many things have multiple uses and can work in a pinch. Pantyhose will work for awhile as a belt on the alternator if you get them tight.

A good tire plug/patch kit will fix a radiator hose.

Generic for starter solenoids work for lots of applications such as a winch solenoid, GPR etc. I always keep a spare handy.

A small propane torch can solder about anything so I keep paste and acid flux with me for wiring and radiator repair.

Duct tape is the shiat and can also be used as a belt right along with ***** hose.

I carry a LARGE assortment of hardware of all sizes in both metric and SAE. I always keep random pieces of all thread too, you never know when you'll need something completely off the wall and it'll work.

Plumbers tape and 10-32 bolts for clamping, hanging etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online