Engine stalls after load?

BrianW

Reaction score
Gents,

I haven't posted much here, but enjoy reading the forum immensely.

Lately, my '93 F250 with factory 7.3 turbo...

You must be registered for see images attach

...has 'died' after I hit the throttle hard, then let off quickly.

It will fire back up right away. For example, the other day I was heading out my driveway, and due to lot's of snow, the rear wheels started to spin, so I quickly got off the throttle to avoid spinning the rear tires, and it just died.

I kind of thought this wouldn't happen with such a basic and strong running engine.

Another thing I noticed, is that the oil pressure is running at the low side of the gauge. The needle oil pressure needle hangs out around the 'n' of the word 'normal' when at idle, and doesn't climb much after that. I haven't run the rpms up to check what happens later. I did add 2 quarts of oil (15w-40) and that hasn't seemed to help, although it brought the oil dipstick up to the 'full' mark.

Thanks for any advice.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
what you're seeing on the return to idle dieing/stalling is signs of a sticking metering valve in the injection pump, in most cases to correct this you can run some lube of some sort through the system. Just about any commercially available diesel fuel conditioner will work - myself I always used either stanadyne or power service. You can pick up power service from Walmart or Meijer or most truck stops or Tractor Supply Company. Now Stanadyne is a little harder to come by as it's sold by Stanadyne Auth retailers - say injection pump rebuilders and the like. Stanadyne has fixed this problem for me in the past on more than on IDI Injection pump.

What you are seeing is the effects of todays lower sulfur fuels that are being mandated like ULSD and the LSD fuels. These older fuel lubed injection systems will need extra lubed added to them to extend their service life. Now you can if you want just run some old motor oil or cooking oil as a lube just don't go crazy with it in the colder temps. Myself I run at least a gallon per fill up of filtered used cooking oil picked up from the local bar/grill. This maynot be first choice of some but that's what I do and it works for me.

If you go with the Stanadyne or Power Service just overdose it, place half a bottle in each tank then see how it does, I would lay dollars to donuts that the problem goes away. I have talked to some pump rebuilders and they have had this problem on brand new pumps that they have rebuild because of tight tolerences in the pumps and newly designed internals. And in every case they have run Stanadyne through it and the problem went away.

But like I said any lube will do.

BrianW

Reaction score
Just wanted to update the situation...

I added some fuel conditioner, and the problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks for the help.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Man I've seen the same thing but i run power service, and i have used some mix of oil, bio, hydro fluid (new) of course my truck has been setting for a year so it just might be bad fuel?? and my local station is up to $2.79!!!:eek:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I've seen the same thing but i run power service, and i have used some mix of oil, bio, hydro fluid (new) of course my truck has been setting for a year so it just might be bad fuel?? and my local station is up to $2.79!!!:eek:

Fuel prices are all over the place here right now...IIRC when I topped my tank off wally world was $2.49 when everyone else in town and near my place had everything from $2.55 to $2.79 what's up with the 30 cent spead besides a bunch of gouging-cuss

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Fuel prices are all over the place here right now...IIRC when I topped my tank off wally world was $2.49 when everyone else in town and near my place had everything from $2.55 to $2.79 what's up with the 30 cent spead besides a bunch of gouging-cuss

gouging is right Hess is $2.79 and 5 miles east Kangaroo is $2.55? and just last week it was $2.39 at Hess??? Is NC Diesel tax still .55 cents?

Headerpower

Reaction score
Well yall, up here in Canada, west coast diesel is $.985/ liter, that converts to $3.21 USD / US gallon. Glad I'm not buying gasoline!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gouging is right Hess is $2.79 and 5 miles east Kangaroo is $2.55? and just last week it was $2.39 at Hess??? Is NC Diesel tax still .55 cents?

Fuel tax is the same to the best of my knowledge

NC state tax on diesel 30.2 cents
Fed Tax on diesel 24.4 cents
Total 54.6 cents per gallon TAX

Tax is the 2nd biggest cost in fuel. The cost of crude oil which is about $64 a barrel right now is the single largest expense.

Well yall, up here in Canada, west coast diesel is $.985/ liter, that converts to $3.21 USD / US gallon. Glad I'm not buying gasoline!!

I've felt your pain.....watching a pump that's counting by the liter run while your topping off tanks on a semi is enough to make you:puke: :hail :puke:

Oh and it's Y'all not yall.........Eh;Poke :D

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
here in az there is a 84.4 fuel tax and fuel going up everyday news said get ready for a 1.00 more because of the capture of the brits in iran rac one of them i over there