E4OD woes

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans in my '97 is having problems. It started by hesitating when you put in reverse after it warms up, then I noticed that 1st will slip pretty bad when it's cold. I noticed that the oil smelt burnt, so I changed the oil and filter. When I dropped the pan, I found alot of metal shavings. Most of it was aluminium. My plan is to rebuild it using an HD Upgrade Package from Online Transmission Parts. The kit comes with an upgraded T/C, clutches, seals, a Transgo valve kit, a kevlar front band and everything to rebuild it for about $900. I talked to a tranmission shop and got an estimate over the phone. He told me that the symtoms I described were very common and that he would rebuild my trans with pretty much everything in the above described kit for $2400. My only real concern is, where is all the metal coming from. Is an upgrade kit going to include everything I need, or will I have to tear it down to find out.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
It should have most everything you need in the kit. But you will have to tear the transmission apart and inspect everything to know if you willl need any additional parts. The aluminum in the pan could be from the stator in the torque converter or from a planetary gear carrier.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an aux tranny cooler, you have to replace it, you cannot flush them out.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I finally broke down and took it to a tranny shop. After talking to several different people, I decided that for me, I didn't need to do the big upgrade kit. A new billet TC. good bands and clutches and a new set of solenoids were all I need to do. Come to find out, the shavings were from the TC and one of the valves was scarred so bad he put in a new one. With the valve being scarred, the line pressure never got to where it's supposed to be and burnt all the clutched, esp. rev and 1st. All in it cost me $1600 and he put in a brand new Billet TC, and I didn't have to turn a wrench one.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7