E4OD took a s**t...

prerunnin

Reaction score
So I was driving down the freeway(downhill)... cruising at about 65 mph, and i heard a pretty good clunk and my truck was in neutral. so i got over and start to pull over and it clunked again. now the o/d light started flashing. I pull over and check everything out fluid was good nothing leaking underneath trans wasn't even hot it was probably about 100* at the pan when i felt it. So I got back in put it in drive and she drove away perfectly. but the o/d light was still flashing and I now only have 3 gears. overdrive will not engage, anyone have a similar problem? to me it sounds electrical.

Last edited by a moderator:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK in an E4OD all the power flows through the OD gearset, so the fact that truck still moves suggest to me that the problem is indeed elsewhere... Electrical issue won't cause a drop into neutral tho, as there is a hydraulic backup to the electrics - in other words even if you were to disconnect the harness from the trans, when you put the shifter in D you'll get 4th gear, and if you put it in 1 or 2 you'll get manual 2nd. Neutral, reverse, and park will also work as they should too.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Have the codes pulled. Any tranny shop or good service station can do this for you.

There could be an issue with the OD clutch.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta know what year the truck is. E4OD is not the same for every year.

If your tach or speedo went out, or intermittent that could cause the clunk, going into limp mode.

DON'T drive it like that with the OD flashing, or it will be junk soon.

Last edited:

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
It may have been going into limp mode, which would put it in 2nd gear. And @ 65 mph, it could make a nice clunk in the process and kick it out of gear.

prerunnin

Reaction score
Well I drove it more, rule out electric problems speedo and tach work fine.

The light stopped flashing and I still have no o/d, now im starting to think that a sprag stripped out or maybe clutches. Im going to order full rebuild kit and the transgo heavy hauler shift kit. Either way the trans needs a rebuild after all it has 225 on it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you can still drive it and have no OD more than likely the snap ring popped out of the OD clutch pack. That could have destroyed the aluminium center support also if it has never been changed to the steel CS. It's eventualy going to tear itself up inside, and all that junk is going into your aux cooler if you have one. Possible bust the case.

GO HERE for E4OD rebuild, interesting to say the least. You may not need the manual below.

I would suggest that you get the E4OD manual from ASTG . Call 305-670-4161 or order on line. $26.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The light stopped flashing and I still have no o/d, now im starting to think that a sprag stripped out or maybe clutches. Im going to order full rebuild kit and the transgo heavy hauler shift kit. Either way the trans needs a rebuild after all it has 225 on it.

whats the service/maintenance schedule been roughly?
and did you have any mods at all such as a shift kit and or external filter,temp gauge or anything at all other than stock.
thanks.225k on any auto imho,is a trans that has served you well.
and yes,please do share what year it is.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Might as well rebuild it. When you rebuild the unit. Replace the fourth clutch snap ring with a Sonnax Spiral Lock snap ring. This will prevent the dreaded snap ring pop off.

If you use the Trango Tugger kit. You will get a spiral lock ring (Sonnax is better). Plus you will get the improved coast clutch snap ring.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Huh, external tranny filter sounds like a good complement to my dual 10K tranny coolers... May have to do this one. Most of the fittings on the soft lines are leaking a little anyway..

I would definitely agree that driving anymore would be a bad bad idea. Best of luck, bud!

prerunnin

Reaction score
I bought the truck from an older guy at 210k, he had it since new and was **** about most oil changes. he said he put the transmission cooler on the day he brought the truck home(the things half the size of the condenser) other than that i didnt talk to him about it much he just told me it was getting old and about time to rebuild it... I dont think i could get close to 100k on a trans i like the skinny pedal too much!

So what shift kit do you guys recommend? is it the transgo tugger kit or another?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online