E4OD DEATH FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
;PissedWell my overdrive light started flashing today and it's shifting really hard, and the ATF smells burnt. I really need my truck this next week so i'm wondering if I could maybe get a nother week out of it if I change and the ATF and fillerr?:dunno

Thanks for any help;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
;PissedWell my overdrive light started flashing today and it's shifting really hard, and the ATF smells burnt. I really need my truck this next week so i'm wondering if I could maybe get a nother week out of it if I change and the ATF and fillerr?:dunno

Thanks for any help;Sweet

you may--and you may not---sure cant hurt--but if it smells that bad--it aint looking good-----good luck--

Black dawg

Reaction score
did you notice anything out of ordinary before the light started flashing? get some trouble codes

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Find out what the codes are first. You might be able to save it for a little longer if you can correct the problems. Then change the fluid and filter.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once the fluid starts burning, you have deeper issues in there. You can try driving it for another week, but don't go far from home and don't tow anything because you are very likely on borrowed time.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats the death sign, my first one started downshifting randomly so I changed the FIPL that helped for awhile but then it started to over heat just cruising the interstate! I changed the fluid and continued to work it for probibly over a year before I had it rebuilt. I was towing the race car every week with it acting up but it never let me down... that was back when my truck liked me! LOL

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dads 89 crew cab did that for a couple years and still was goin when i needed the motor for the f-250. slipped and snaped your neck every shift but 3rd. tail shaft has more play than putting your finger in a coffee mug but it all held together.

sassyrel

Reaction score
it may also be the tq clutch slipping--which would burnt the oil--but the rest of the trans would be fine--pull the trans, and case back--put in new tq--and away you go--if thats whats wrong--as said--try and see if a code was set--even with no light--

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it may also be the tq clutch slipping--which would burnt he oil--but the rest of the trans would be fine--pull the trans, and case back--put in new tq--and away you go--if thats whats wrong--as said--try and see if a code was set--even with no light--

True, but if theres further damage would you really want to chance trashing a new converter? Thats what happened to me the SECOND time :dunno turns out it was a really good thing we pulled it apart because there were burnt clutches that would have went bad not long after the new TC

sassyrel

Reaction score
True, but if theres further damage would you really want to chance trashing a new converter? Thats what happened to me the SECOND time :dunno turns out it was a really good thing we pulled it apart because there were burnt clutches that would have went bad not long after the new TC

ture--but i dont know the extent of his damage--and many have replaced only the tq,and were fine-sooo---thanks for the damage--:rolleyes:--i also said,check codes--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online