Duramax Diesel Feedback

ChevSales69

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just started working for a GM dealership and wanted some feedback on the '08 6.6L Duramax... how it weighs up against our competitors and any problems you might have encountered with it. Any feedback at all would be appreciated and maybe I can answer some dealer related questions you might have ;Poke

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about it's ugly as ****. :rotflmao 'Course that's just my opinion.

Tom
tom-
I will agree with you on the factory dually wheels they put on the truck. I saw one at camping world and it's about as ugly as ugly can get. I can see the trucks getting an aftermarket set of rims pretty quick.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, rough crowd up in here.

Welcome to Oilburners ChevSales69.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
In my opinion, GM has been sliding downhill for a while. The trucks are steadily getting more useless bells and whistles while taking away practical items. Case in point, if you pay $35k for a truck, it damn well out to come with an under hood light. Also, the radio's are cheaply made. The CD loader on my wife's truck doesn't always work. The instrument cluster needles work sporadically. And it's not an isolated deal cause there isn't one GM truck here on base that has an instrument cluster or radio here on base that works right. Second, unlike GM, Ford has geared their trucks towards the folks who actually use them for work and life. Take for example the integrated trailer brake controller that works in conjunction with the truck. GM could easily do that, but instead they're busy putting OnStar and a fancy radio system with navigation. These are minor things, but added up it reflects a lack of quality. Instead of more useless frills, make the truck work better. And like towcat said, if you spend $40k on a dually you should be able to at least get a set of wheels that look worth a damn. For $40k you can’t include some sort of decent looking aluminum wheels on the truck? And I won't even comment on the problems that my '01 Duramax had with the fuel system.

I also see the horsepower wars going on when it ought to be the efficiency wars. Granted GM has done wonders with the Dmax and it's fairly efficient but it's not hard to make the truck more fuel efficient. Along those lines, GM is falling behind in another realm in that Ford has planned on a baby Powerstroke for the '10 F150. I’ve also read that Dodge is going to be putting a diesel in the Ram 1500 soon but GM's still trying to figure out how to get a diesel in the half ton trucks. There's a guy that has built a Hummer H2 in Kansas that is powered by a tuned Duramax that gets about 35mpg. GM could do that form the factory but for some reason they refuse to do so.

Why not step out there and provide in-house MPG ratings? The EPA doesn’t require it but that doesn’t mean that GM and the rest couldn’t voluntarily provide that information that I’m sure many people would be interested in reading. It would tell customers that you’re going the extra mile to inform people. It wouldn’t be difficult and I guarantee you that it would make Ford owners think twice about buying a new Powerstroke and it might give the Cummins a run for its money.

Just my $0.02 worth.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I would have to agree on the quality issues. Although I'm sure each of the big three has different problems. I had the same radio problem. Got it replaced. Then it took two more trips to the dealer to get it programmed with the right program. That's a dealer issue. Then there's the driver's seatback popping. Been "fixed" once and totally rebuilt once. Still makes the same annoying noise. Have to go thru GM next to find out why my $43,000 truck has a seat that pops like it was in a Yugo and there's no fix for it. Then there's the intermediate steering shaft, which has been replaced twice only to find the noise in the column was coming from the brake peddle assembly...and that's back. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck. Very comfortable, powerfull, and efficient for what it is. Do you get what you pay for? I think THAT is hard to find these days.

Tom

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
TL, just out of shear morbid curiosity, what sort of mileage are you seeing out of your truck loaded and unloaded?

Here's another gripe I have. GM engineers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the front hub assemblies in a way that you can not lubricate them nor can you rebuild them once they fail unless you have a machine shop. When a hub goes out, you're stuck spending anywhere from $150 to $350 clams for the part because you have the knuckle, the hub bearing, and the speed sensor all in one. I had to get both replaced when the truck had 60k miles on it. The steering shaft is another issue that I've just dealt with and ignored.

I think it's a problem with quality control more than anything. GM seems to be looking for ways to cut corners and skimp on things in order to save money and maximize profits.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Z. Can't complain about a 1/2 ton V8 4x4 that is comfortable as can be and gets upwards of 20mpg running down the highway. It's a good truck now, but it could be a great truck if GM would fix the little things.

ChevSales69

Reaction score
Thanks you guys... I'd rather hear the truth anyways so I can get enough info together to prepare myself for the apparent backlash I'm going to get over my customers. Yes, I will definetly agree with you that quality levels have gone down a hell of a lot in the last few decades but as TLBREWER said, every one of our companies has it's problems and every one will cut corners and only try to fix the biggest issues. It would be interesting to see how the duramax actually stacks up against the big three in a head-to-head comparison

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the lackluster styling on the new Chevys. It's not just the wheels, the whole truck is pretty ugly. I think they called back the styling engineers who designed the Pontiac Aztec to give it that special "holy ****, how did that make it to the assembly line" look.

ChevSales69

Reaction score
Haha i swear we're trying the "shock value" promotion... don't worry styles change... and i thing this one'll change fast

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another gripe I have. GM engineers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the front hub assemblies in a way that you can not lubricate them nor can you rebuild them once they fail unless you have a machine shop. When a hub goes out, you're stuck spending anywhere from $150 to $350 clams for the part

The SuperDuty is the same isnt it? Throw away hub assy's.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes the SD also has disposable hub assemblies. in fact the GM trucks come with way more zerk fittings on them than any ford i've had newer than the '70s.

i do agree about some of the "form over function" GM designs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online